Newbie needing help

Jmcarriere

Novice Member
Hello, I am a complete newbie to hi fi and need help. I am looking to put together a system it will not all be purchased at once but through a few different purchases. The only thing that I currently have are a pair of KRK Rokit 5 active studio monitors that I use when mixing. I would like to spend no more the $2,000 USD. The main genres of music I listen to is Deep Dubstep and DnB, but will also listen to other genres like country and hip hop. This will be set up in my downstairs living room and will be played from quiet to loud at times. I know I need a sub and I want to at some point get passive speakers. I know you are supposed to buy speakers first and work backwards but my immediate needs are a dac and a streamer.
Can you please help me start this journey?

acgingersnaps

As a starter, this is hard to beat, for the money. Powerful amplification section, streaming and can be connected to anything that you might need it to be.

Amazon product

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
For a DAC and streamer probably the best bang for buck is probably the Yamaha WXAD1 plus either the Topping E30 or the SMSL Sanskrit 10th.

If you get these then you could try plugging your KRK’s directly into the DAC as both of these have a variable output so can act as a preamp. You could stick to actives for hifi listening, many people do including myself, something like the Adam A7X or a Focal Shape 65 or Tannoy Gold 7 would be a good start, add a passive preamp like the Tisbury Pre or a studio monitor controller like the Mackie Big Knob or Smp Pro M-Patch plus a Rel T5 sub and you will be just in budget I think (in the UK you would be). If you like the KRK sound then the RP10.3 would probably not need a sub.

As for passive speakers, this is predominantly a UK based forum so any suggestions you get may not be available in the US or may be priced differently. Here in the UK BK electronics do direct sell subs and are very good value for money, worth checking out if they ship to the US and what tax you will have to pay.

Helix Hifi

I’m not so familiar with Cervin Vega but listed to some years ago (3 years ago) dub step.

The bass was insane.

If dub step is the music you listen too more country these speakers are great. The midrange is not super refined, still believe this is something you can live with.

Klipsch also. Klipsch are easy to drive also. So any amplifier we’ll sing with those. But don’t buy any cheap ones. Klipsch are more refined in the midrange, treble. Still the bass is awesome.

Streamer, Node2i, Node 3, the cheapest Yamaha.

Cables as cheap you can find. 2,5 mm, 4 mm.

Jmcarriere

Novice Member
I’m not so familiar with Cervin Vega but listed to some years ago (3 years ago) dub step.

The bass was insane.

If dub step is the music you listen too more country these speakers are great. The midrange is not super refined, still believe this is something you can live with.

Klipsch also. Klipsch are easy to drive also. So any amplifier we’ll sing with those. But don’t buy any cheap ones. Klipsch are more refined in the midrange, treble. Still the bass is awesome.

Streamer, Node2i, Node 3, the cheapest Yamaha.

Cables as cheap you can find. 2,5 mm, 4 mm.
I ha e read reviews that say Klipsch extremely clean in the highs. I listen to more DnB Tham deep dubatep and listen to more edm then say country. I have been looking at either klipsch or elac. The Yamaha that has been suggested is not available on my side of the pond, what DAC do you recommend, if my end goal is either klipsch or elac.

Helix Hifi

It depends which features you want.

Topping E30. I believe it is the cheapest one they got.
I’m my view there’s absolutely no need too spend more money on external DAC’s. There are amplifiers today with build in onboard DAC’s.

There are no audible differences between DAC’s, expect perhaps the really cheap ones like FiiO.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom