1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needing help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Atlanticist1, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Atlanticist1

Atlanticist1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few questions :

I've got the current set-up and not sure it's quite right :

LG Tv connected to LG video recorder ("Ant in" to "RF out")
    Video recorder connected to Sky box ("Aerial" to "RF Out1")
    Sky box connected to TV (TV scart to scart1)

When watching normal TV through the set-top box, the picture is perfect. However, when recording a video, it's slightly fuzzy (like the reception's poor). Now, I live in the sticks, and analogue reception was so poor, and the aerial on the house so large that when we moved in, I simply removed it, so we now only have digital reception.

Question is, is this problem due to the way I've configured the cables, could the quality of the cable itself make such a noticable difference, or is it more likely to be some kind of tuning issue (though I would think that with digital, you don't get grades of quality like analogue) ???

Second question - I connect a Denon DVD 2200 to the TV using a QED Squart AV cable. If I get a Panasonic PD30 (with progressive something or other), should I use component video (??) to connect DVD to TV, or is it just as good to keep connecting via a top-end scart lead ? What is s-video and do I need it ?

Last question - with my Denon DVD 2200 came a cable with 3 bits on each end (coloured red, white and yellow). What is it and should I be using it (it's currently sitting on my desk)?

Many thanks for any help you can provide !!!

A.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I assume that by asking if you should use the component outputs on the DVD player, you actually have component inputs on your TV to plug them into and if this is the case you should certainly use them.

The Sky box should be plugged into AV1 as it is at the moment

The second scart on the TV should be used for the VCR so that the other scart on the Digibox goes into the VCR and onwards to the second scart on the TV. The signal will only be composite so you don't need the best quality scart leads but it will be better than what you are currently getting via the aerial leads.

3. Atlanticist1

Atlanticist1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the response. Actually the question about component video was related to the proposed PD30 (which I understand can accept component). Just checked my LG TV (£400 from Tesco), and it has 3 mysterious holes on the side marked Audio/LMono/Video (and they're marked red/white/yellow just like my mysterious lead from my Denon DVD player!! The manual says they're "Audio/Video in" sockets, and should be connected to the Video recorder - which it isn't - the video recorder uses the "Ant in" connection.

Is this mysterious red/white/yellow lead a component lead, and are the 3 red/yellow/white sockets on my TV component inputs ? Can I use this to connect my DVD, thus freeing up one of the two scart sockets for the video recorder ?

So many questions!!!

From onehttp://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1075540# Ian J to another

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The red, white and yellow inputs on your TV are for the connection of a gaming machine or camcorder and the yellow input will give you composite video which is the choice of last resort.

Many DVD players are fitted with component outputs as they are mainly there for the US market and it's cheaper to leave them in than take them out for the UK market but they are of no use to you if your TV will not accept them and it seems that yours won't.

5. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to complete the picture: the 3 phonos commonly on the front of TVs and VCR are intended mainly for camcorders. The yellow is indeed for composite video; the red is audio right channel and the white is audio left channel.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is there an echo in here :D

7. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a partial echo :D

You didn't say what the red & white cables were for and as the questioner is a newbie I thought I'd make it clear, esp as originally he thought the red/white/yellow might be component video. :)

8. Atlanticist1

Atlanticist1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks both for your help and for fielding such dumb questions !! I told you I was new to all this!! I didn't even own a DVD player until May.

Anyway, to summarise what you're saying - when I get a TV that accepts component input (as the PD30 does - that much I DO know!!), I connect my DVD player to it using component video.

In terms of the triangular Sky->TV->VHS->Sky, I simply daisy-chain them all up using a series of 1/2 decent scart leads - nothing else needs doing.

Anyway, thanks again for your assistance - I'm reading the extensive PD30 threads with interest and it looks like I'll be buying from a bricks and mortar retailer instead of the web in case I hit a dud.

Ian J.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes, component will give you the best picture quality but no sound. For that you will need to connect the player to the TV by way of digital coaxial or optical cable.

Not quite - Sky to AV1 on TV and Sky second scart to VCR and then onwards to AV2 on TV which covers pictues and sound on all of them

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Our surnames are identical and it would seem that your wife shares the same first name as mine too.

Co-incidence or wind up ?

11. Atlanticist1

Atlanticist1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spooky - how do you know my surname and wife's first name btw ?

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    An educated guess from your email address.