• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie Needing help on Floating Wall

Philly215

Standard Member
Hello All,

I am in the middle of my first project and I have a few questions before I proceed any further. I have a drywall wall that is being supported by wooden studs. 3 inches behind the drywall is a masonary wall. My questions:

1. When I frame out the floating wall should I use 1X3's?
2. When I attach the floating wall, should I secure the new wood timber directly on top of the exisitng timber which is directly behind the drywall?
3. Lastly, when I install the bracket, should I secure the bracket to the frame of the floating wall or shuold I cut out the drywall and secure the bracket to the wood timber behind the drywall? I was under the impression that I can do either. I was thinking about using extra framing in the area when the bracket will be mounted on top of the exisitng drywall. The extra framing will be secured to the studs behind the drywall. All assistance will be greatly appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom