Newbie needing advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mojohedo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mojohedo

mojohedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I'm new here and don't know a whole lot about Hi Fi systems and such so the route I'm taking might sound ass-backwards, but hey, what can ya do!!

I bought a Sony 52inch xbr4 LCD... and threw it up on my wall and set it up with my old and cheap yamaha receiver and 5.1 system...

Then I bought a PS3 (for blueray and dvd's) and realized that I needed an hdmi AV receiver...

Then I bought a NAD T785 and now realize that my speakers are just not gonna cut it...

I would like to spend (hopefully!) under US $5 grand and preferably under $4 grand on a 5.1 to 7.1 set up... I've done hours of research on speakers and am going bonkers trying to figure out the best way to go (I'd even buy a great used set to gain quality to save $$). I love music and movies so I would prefer a speaker set up that is capable for both.

Any help/guidance or a shopping list including what size cables and connectors to get would be a HUGE help!!!!

The system is in a room that is 20 x 23 feet and none of the cables would need to be longer than 30 feet...

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for your advice! :)

-Lost in space

2. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I have an Onkyo AVR and would reccommend them, I find they do a decent enough job with music (very good as far as AVRs are concerned). Perhaps the Onkyo 605 and a speaker package like the Kef 3005se or monitor audio radius range. The amp is 7.1 capable and these packages allow you to buy extra pairs of speakers for the extra surrounds if you want them. It would fall within budget and sound very good.

There are tonnes of speaker packages around that fall into this catagory so you would need to research a bit to find the ones that best suit you and the sound your after. Just remember though, with a surround system your always compromising on the music side of things as a stereo music only system will sound better musically for the same money, of course when it comes to films a stereo system is pants compared to a 5.1/7.1.

3. mojohedo

mojohedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have the NAD t785 which is a top quality AVR...

I'm looking for speaker advice... If I'm compromising on the music side by getting a 5.1 or 7.1 package, then maybe some advice on a pair of main speakers a center channel speaker and some bookshelf or monitors for the rears???

I'm looking to spend at most US$5 grand and hopefully under $4 grand for the speakers.

4. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Well if your budget is just for speakers, then you'll want a package that has a proper loudspeaker front pair to get the best from your music, and if you crack that then movies should blow you away. Try looking at the Dali Icon 6 5.1 package or perhaps something from the monitor audio range like the RS6 AV package, you could even go as far as the GS series speakers if you feel flush.

These two suggestions are completely different sounding with the MA being too bright for some and the Dali's being the opposite, so you need to read reviews of these before deciding on which is best to demo, and there are plenty of other ranges like this to go at, these are just my 2 probable choices.