1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie need help finding a system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thesnowman, Jan 15, 2004.

1. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I'm pretty new to all this home cinema stuff and was wondering wheather anyone could help me find a decent av receiver for £200

*my main use for the system will be movies and sky tv

*I will be using it at least 6-7 hours a day, so please warn me to avoid any system that are prone to over heat

*my living room is fairly small so I dont really need a system that is built for a stadium

2. stevo29

stevo29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    snowman

have been using a pioneer vsx-d511 for about 5mths, very happy with it;the amp has dolby prologic, prologic 2,dolby digital, dts, & virtual suround back & other dsp modes plus stereo, more than enough really; we use the amp in our small/medium sized lounge, have had no problems with overheating,(advisable not to place another component on top of this amp for ventilation purposes so could be a problem if you lack space in your t.v unit?

i originally purchased a one boxed integrated dvd/receiver at the start of 2003 but found connectivity lacking so switched to the vsx-d511; the newer model d512 has been reduced to £139.99 +£7.99at empire direct, a bargain to be had..

the link http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=PIO-VSXD512S&affiliateid=

also check out the a/v receivers at richersounds http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemlist.php&c=1101

regards

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Also Yamaha HTR5630 and denon 1603 if you dont mind black, have a search as there are loads of threads on this price range.