1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie need help choosing a system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by thesnowman, Nov 19, 2003.

1. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

newbie here, I need help in searching for an all-in-one system, its important that its a multi region player since 80% of my dvds are r1
    I,m working on a £200 budget

I looking for a reasonable size system ie small speakers that delivers good quality sound cause my living room is on the small side

What system anyone wolud you recommend at this price (£200 or lower)

I've seen the Pioneer DCS-313 going for just over £200, which has everything I want from an all in one system, I've heard some good things about this system and some not, can anyone who have the Pioneer DCS-313 please give us your comment on this system.

Thank you

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    It would also be worth considering the JVC THA-35R. I know the power output of the Pioneer is impressive but the JVC will probably give you better sound and almost definitely a better picture.

3. bimmer

bimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own pioneer dcs-313, and it's a great system, you won't be disappointed with it. It is much better then some systems from samsung (ht-db750), LG (da-5630), sony.

4. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for the advice bimmer, I had planned on getting the jvc THA-35R this christmas but after hearing about the problems with the jvc ie noisy fan my favour has now swayed towards the Pioneer.

Could you tell me if the pioneer suffers from any similar problems like a noisey fan?

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    There's been no reports of a noisy fan anywhere I've seen on the Pioneer, if your criteria for a system is how noisy the fan is you should be alright with the Pioneer. Its one of the most powerful systems in the price range and you'd probably end up only using it at half volume anyway therefore you'd probably never hear the fan if its got one.. However I would suggest if you can find one and can live with s-video only output and no rgb then the Pioneer DCS303 is the better bet. Its was made to sell at twice the price of the DCS313 and offers better sound and probably even a better picture even though its only s-video out. Certainly it looks a lot nicer.

It seems to be available here with multiregion and delivery for £250;

http://www.toptelevisions.co.uk/shop/index.html?target=dept_537.html&lang=en-gb

6. bimmer

bimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you now that "bonzobanana"? People from pioneer here in Bosnia told me that the pioneer dcs-313 is better then 303 (i now that they are trying to sell, but 303 costs 100 euro more) i don't think that you have listened either of them so how can you say that 303 is better then 313. I'm apsolutly satisfied with my dcs-313 and like i mentioned before it's great system much better then most of the products from competition that i have tested so far. In my opinion it's better then dav-550.
    It doesn't have a noisy fan i agree with you.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The DCS303 has almost been universally acclaimed as a great system. I've never seen a review of it that was negative overall. The Pioneer DCS313 has been given a very poor rating by What Hifi. They have directly compared it to the JVC and much prefer the JVC THA-35R even though its less powerful. I have heard the DCS313 but not in ideal conditions. However I did demo the DCS303 quite a lot even though I went for a different model in the end as my television is pretty poor with s-video I needed RGB output.

If your saying you think the DCS313 is great and your really happy with it then fair enough but I think if you look around you'll see the model is not generally that well regarded. There are people buying basic £99 no brand home cinema systems and they are happy with them. Its all relative. The DCS313 is designed and built to sell at around £250. The DCS303 was designed and built to sell for at least twice that and is only down at the same price as the DCS313 because its old stock and a deleted model. Thats the reason the DCS303 is probably a lot better. At its original price point Pioneer could afford to put in better ocmponents and speaker units.

When it comes down to it, as negative as the What Hifi review was they still gave it 3 out of 5 which is average. Its not like they called it the worst system ever. They just weren't impressed with the sound and vision compared to other similar price systems. I personally don't have a downer on the DCS313. My point is many seem to think the DCS313 is the just an updated DCS303 but its a completely different model and design and is aimed at a much lower price point.

8. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Finally got around to placing an order for the pioneer 313, I'm using Amazon which seems to be the cheapest place at the moment for a multi region model
    my only question is why does it take them so damn long to dispatch this system compared to the other makes and models?