1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - MA Radius Suitable??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hallabusa, Dec 26, 2004.

1. hallabusa

hallabusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've been picking up tips from this forum for a while, and the comments etc posted have been helpful in (nearly) deciding on my forthcoming system. I'm going for a Pioneer PDP 435XDE screen, Denon 2805 (the 3805 if theres a noticable difference?), Denon DVD-2910 (again, may go for the 3910 if it can be justified). Haven't decided on cables/interconnects yet.
    My issue is with the speakers, as the missus doesn't want floor standers. The preferred choice at the moment is three MA Radius 225's for the front,and four Radius 90's at the rear. I've attached (I hope its worked) a rough diagram of my room but will these MA's be suitable given the size and shape of the room. The system will be used for 90% films.

Any comments/suggestions on any of the above greatfully accepted.

Cheers.

2. hallabusa

hallabusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops...try again! (sorry for the poor quality). The speakers are identified by the 'red' coloured box's.

Attached Files:

3. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Do you really need so many speakers? Personally, I would only use the area that's 4.1 x 3.2 for my 'soundstage'. I have a feeling having so many speakers scattered around such a large room the sound would be unbalanced.
    You certainly wouldn't get the full benefit of all the speakers with the positioning of your couches. Can't you turn the couch on the left so it's facing the 4.1m wall? It would knock the 7.1 on it's head but you could have a far better 5.1 system that way.

That's only my opinion mind :)

4. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hallabusa - all I can comment is that the Radius speakers are indeed very compatible with wives, probably amongst the most so. We've got four R90's (admittedly on Atacama Nexus stands) and an R180 on the TV - all in the natural beech veneer, and they do look great. Daresay they'd be even more discreet mounted on the wall.

5. hallabusa

hallabusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both. The TV needs to go in the center as it's on a fireplace - it's the 'natural' center for the room (asthetically speaking) and I've no other options!!!!.
    I thought that the more speakers (7.1 was the plan, I appreciate that theres not much software available yet) would help to 'fill' the room.

Thanks again.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Your ideal couch position is where the 2 middle rears are situated. As Malabbey said the 4 speakers at the back may ruin the soundstage. Instead of 4 R90's at the back could you not just get another 2x225's for the rears?

7. hallabusa

hallabusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar - Yes I could go for a pair of 225's for the rear also, although SWMBO has an issue with this suggestion!!.
    As more and more software takes up the 6.1 and eventually 7.1 route, my intention was to 'future proof' things as much as possible (I'm also having the living room replastered at the moment and it's an ideal time to bury trunking etc into the walls to hide the cables).
    I agree entirely about the location of the couch, but the problem is that it's the would have to go directly in front of the door to the living room, which will be extremely difficult to get past 'internal audit' (the wife).

OK - for arguments sake, I go for 5 * 225's (and a sub) and a 90 for the rear center (given it's 'discrete-ness'). Would this be a better solution, or should I re-examine my options and go for floorstanders (Kef Q5's look quite nice for the fronts, but this may well prove to be an uphill struggle).

Thanks again for everyones input.

Cheers

8. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You could decide which couch you will watch movies on - let's hope the AV discussions don't result in separate couches :eek: - an dmaybe, just maybe, consider go for ceiling mounts for the two side speakers, and high up on the wall on either side of the door for the L/R centre rears. Properly aligned and db adjusted using an spl meter, and you should be able to hit a nice sweet spot on the favoured couch. With both couches so far apart, and the shape of the room, it is going to be very difficult to find one setup that will cover everything.

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    It's a tricky decision as to what to do, but think it through carefully, especially as you're replastering the room at the moment - it's the ideal time to bury cable. However remember there aren't that many disks that are encoded in DD EX or DTS ES, so you could just buy speakers in a tradional 5.1 format and then add an extra 2 channels sometime down the road.

10. hallabusa

hallabusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd considered the in-wall/ceiling speakers a while back, but if we move house it's a lot of money to leave left in the walls (or leave 'gaps'). At the moment, I think I'll go for three 225's for the front, two at the rear (as suggested - thanks) and run the trunking for rear centers beneath the plaster, but not attach any speakers as yet - just see how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

My next dilemma is what colours is SWMBO going to be happy with...........

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Home cinema involves one dilemma to the next, it never ends :laugh: