1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - lots of help please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Saint4320, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I considered buying a DV Camcorder some time ago but never actually got around to it. I have now finally got around to getting one but need rather a lot of advice in terms of what I need and how I can edir onto different media. In short I thought it best to ask very specific questions and hope you don't mind if this is going over old ground but, having done searches, I can't really find answers to questions I want to ask:

1. Equipment.

I do not need anything terribly fancy, just a decent standard DV camcorder that will produce reasonable results. Budget is around £500 and have currently looked at:

Sony DCRTRV19
    Panasonic NV-DS60B

although I am open to other suggestions.

I already have installed a Firewire card into my PC so I assume that this is ok?

2. Software/Hardware

This is where I start to get confused. I have copies of MGI Videowave and also Adobe something or other, both of which I have been told will do the job. I have absolutely no idea about the correct bitrates to use or settings within the software either so any help will be much appreciated.

I have a CD re-writer with Nero so am able to burn VCD's which will play on my DVD player. I do not, yet, have a DVD writer so I guess am at a bit of a disadvantage there - are they expensive?

Also, what kind of standard of playback will i get from a VCD?

If any of you would be good enough to reply, and answer further questions as they arise, I'd really appreciate it - this is a minefield.

Email address is : Saint4320@yahoo.co.uk if anyone is willing to enter into private q&a's.

Many thanks,

Paul

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Adobe Premiere?
    If that is the Adobe programme then this is great, but not very easy to learn. MGI Videowave should also be fine. Don't worry about bitrates etc for editing. Most programmes will just have presets for these. Premiere has a DV setting which is what I use.
    DVD burners can now be bought from around £100 so are not that expensive, but I would recommend you stick to VCD for now until you feel you need DVD's as a CD-R is much cheaper to throw away if you make mistakes (and yes we all end up with loads of coffee coasters :laugh: ).
    VCD will be around the quality of VHS, subject to your footage and the software you use etc.

Please feel free to keep asking questions. It is how we all learn and hopefully avoid making expensive mistakes. :rolleyes:

Mark.

3. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark. I did have a dabble around with a VCD before, having borrowed a camcorder. I have to say that the results were not that good and nowhere near as good as what I am used to with video. I used one of the Pinnacle applications when there were different options to compress to different mpeg levels - is this likely to make a difference?

If so and I want a VCD roughly equal to video format what should I be using?

Cheers

Paul

4. CharlesElliott

CharlesElliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

I'm not an expert myself (also just starting to look around) but for £500 you could pick up the Sony TRV22 or even get close to the TRV33 which seems to be recommended a lot.

See http://uk.pricerunner.com/search?query=trv

5. Josie

Josie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul

I just bought the Panasonic NVDS65B. It has lots of features including DV In in case you want to get your edited films back out of PC and play back thro' TV etc
    It is very light and easy to use
    Instruction Manual is very easy to understand for novice like me
    It does NOT have AV In(only AV Out)

I like it a lot

Jo

6. Josie

Josie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say, Paul, altho' the Panasonic retails higher than your budget, I got it for £449 in Jessops under their Price Match policy. You can also get it for under £500 at several places online

Jo

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The results that you get with a VCD can vary a lot depending on the encoder that is used. The encoder supplied with a lot of the budget editing programmes does tend to give less than average results.
    Edit and then export the footage as DV. Once exported encode it for VCD with TMPGEnc (free download from internet. Do a quick search). This is regarded as a very good encoder and should give far better results. Then burn to disk.

Mark.

8. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much to all who replied - I now need to buy the cam. Mark - would you mind if I mailed you for further advice when I finally get to producing a VCD? I'll probably use MGI Videowave which, allegedly, is very good.

Best regards,

Paul

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Paul,
    feel free to ask, but I am no expert, just somebody who likes to dabble. If I can help then I will do.

Mark.

10. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to tag onto this thread, I wonder if someone can help me out with the idea of creating VCD's.

I have recently bought a Sony TRV22 and I understand USB is not suitable for writing DV away to PC. So from what I've read I need firewire....

A few questions :

How much can you get a firewire card for ?
    Will a standard firewire lead fit on the camcorder or does it need to be a special Sony lead ?
    How much hard drive space is required for approx 60 mins of DV footage ?
    How much more difficult is it to create SVCD's than VCD's ?

Sorry, quite a few questions there but any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

11. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1) Generic firewire cards are fairly cheap ( c £25 ?)
    2) Doesn't need to be a Sony lead but it will have to be 6 pin for the PC end & 4 Pin for the camera.
    3) 13Gb for 60mins approx.
    4) Never really bothered with SVCD myself as I do DVD. (Lots of help on the net from sites like www.dvdrhelp.com )

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    as vonhosen said 60min takes around 13Gb or approx 4minutes of DV per Gb. You will also need plenty more space for editing etc.
    It's just different settings in the programmes that you use, therefore no more difficalt. Be aware though that most DVD players can NOT play SVCD's

Mark.