1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie looking to buy LCD/DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by siwilson, Nov 12, 2001.

1. siwilson

siwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Is there an FAQ for projectors available anywhere? Having borrowed data projectors for a while I have now decided to take the plunge and buy one for myself.

I had heard that DLP is better for home cinema than LCD, because of the black levels/contrast, but then I read about all of these 'rainbow effects' and movement artifacts (many articles on the LT150). If have no idea what D-ILA is? Also, what about resolution? Is it true that 800x600 is better than 1024x768 for hc (DVD source). If that is so, why so many think that the LT150 is the one to go for?

I have been very happy with the Hitachi CPX-940 (XGA LCD) I have borrowed in the past, does this mean that I would think a DLP is even better? The fan noise from the Hitachi was not intrusive, does anyone know if the LT150 is quieter or noisier?

Projectors I am considering so far include Sony HS-1, Philips Monroe, NEC LT150. I have not seen any reviews of the Philips. I would be grateful for any thoughts/feedback on the above projectors.

Sorry for so many questions.

TIA

/Simon

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi I can answer a couple of your questions.

800x600 Vs 1025x768. This is quite simple really, the internal scalers of most digital projectors is quite poor, so you are likely to get a better picture from a 800x600 projector because it is closer to the sources resolution. However if you use an extrernal scaler or a PC then you will get a better picture at 1024x768.

DILA is a LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) projector technology from JVC. Quite expensive, noisy, very expensive lamps, very high res and very low screen door effect (visibility is pixels). They also require extensive calibration to make the most of them, but very high PQ once done.

LT150 is a clone of the Plus U3-1080, very popular on AVS a) because of the famous Dell deal which saw them being sold for about £1200 and b) because it happens to be a very good little projector. LT150s in the UK are expensive at about £2500 + VAT, the Plus U3-1080 and some of its other clones can be had for about £1700-£1800 + VAT. All the Plus U3-1080 variants including the LT150 are niosy at about 40db.

If you don't intend to use a PC or external scaler such as a Quad scan elite (about £1200) then you should opt for something like the Philips Monroe or the Plus Piano (DLP) or the Sanyo PLV30 (LCD)

Jeff

3. siwilson

siwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff for an informative response. Since I thought the picture with the Hitachi was pretty good, I guess either the internal scaling of that projector is good, or I have low expectations! I also can't find the fan noise specs of that one, does anyone know? I certainly wouldn't complain, having started doing presentations with a Proxima that weighed about 100kg and sounded like Concorde!

As I am also a PC user I am leaning towards XGA because I think ultimately it gives me more options. That would then logically lead me onto the Plus....

What about the other Plus models? www.projected.co.uk have these and also a second hand U2-1130. Looks like a good unit? Anyone got any feedback on this supplier?

TIA

/Simon

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I bought my Plus U3 from them, I also bought 2 of the new U3-1100z projectors for my company from them. No problems at all, but then most companies are good until you have a problem. I didn't get a chance to see the new projectors in a HC environment so I'm not sure how they perform. The specs look pretty good though, 1100 lumens, 650:1 contrast and the zoom is nice. I think they cost £2250, but there is a zoomless version for less. The last time I checked they had run out of the U3-1080s. The Plus U2-1130 has been used with some success for home cinema, I think that it is one of the models Thumper (AVS) modifies to great effect. It is also the projector from which the very expensive Yamaha DLP is cloned. Also take into account the price of replacement lamps, some are very expensive. I got a quote today for my U3 of £310 +Vat. I think that the Lamps for the new models are about £285 + Vat. Some Lamps are £500 +.

Jeff