Newbie looking for Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Holowlegs, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hi there

Moved house about 2 years ago, decided to buy a new TV and 5.1 system. What I brought was a Phillips 36 inch CRT TV which came with a Phillips all in one box 5.1 amp and speakers, and a Phillips R70 DVD player.
    Have been thinking about upgrading for a while, and was going to start with the amp, but then the DVD player started playing up, got fussy about what films it would play. So in the end one Saturday decided to go to local Hi-Fi shop and ended up buying a Denon AVR1906 and a Denon DVD-1920.
    Now that I have set these up how I want them, am very pleased with the sound and vision compared to my old system, picture is great from the 1920 and happy with the sound from music (not tried any Sacd or DVD-A disc yet), and the sound from 1906 am over the moon with but know it can get better once I get new speakers and sub.
    Next in line is the sub, because at the moment I have only a passive sub, and have this connected via my old Philips amp, because I don’t see a way I can connect it to the 1906. Have had a listen to a Monitor Audio Bronze set up and these are most likely the speakers I will go with.

Will get to the point, the sub I have been looking at are.

Monitor Audio Radius R360 this is the one the man in the shop recommends and have heard this one.

REL Quake, have read somewhere that this is better than above and is the same price as above in silver.

BK Gemini which is £150 cheaper than the 2 above, does anyone own one of these, and what’s it like.

Thanks for any help

Cheers Holo
    :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

2. all2humanuk

all2humanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think someone is testing both of these Subs side by side at some point in the near future so it might be worth waiting around and seeing what they have to say.
    Neil

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, wait around for the test results....

i own a quake myself and with speakers like the Bronze series is quite well matched, it nicely underpins them, and can cope with the volume levels they capable of fairly well....(ok, mebbe not the B6's...lol)......but to be honest, as usual, i gotta suggest you consider raising your budget to a Strata 5 level from REL......a good high power sub can really gel a system together.....there are alternatives to the Strata 5, so ask about those too, but i have it myself and can vouch for it being a nice earth mover but with control.....(its in a system of MA's Silver S series, the predecessors to the new RS series)

4. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Hi Holowlegs, and welcome to the forums... :smashin:

If it's of any interest to you I have a REL Q201 Rosenut finish for sale in the classifieds. If you want more details please ask. Dont be fooled by the asking price :thumbsup:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260288

I am sure others will chip in with their thought on this item
    Apologies for the plug... :rolleyes:
    Good Luck

5. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hi there

Thanks Digger good price but not to sure about the finish, wife looking for silver.

Will wait for the test results between the Quake and Gemini, the Strata 5 is just out of my price range at the moment unless I wait a while longer.

Was also looking at the BK site, at there other sub, and have another question.

They do a XLS200, and a XLS200-DF one front firing the other is down, what is the difference in this sound wise?

Cheers Holo

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    None. The DF is simply a WAF aid and also protects from curious kids. General concensus is that you get a lot more for your money with BK vs REL but you don't compromise on quality...PJ

7. dando

dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there is any difference in sound, so they say at BK. I'm getting my BkXLS200 DF today and I too have the Denon 1906, so I could soon comment on how I find the Sub and amp working together etc. :smashin:

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    go for the Strata 5, u wont regret it..heh.....some shops will do a interest free plan, sevenoaks do a 12 months one, just put down all you have now as the deposit, pay off tiny dribbles each month on direct debit for 12 months, then pay the balance (ie if you put down £450 deposit, pay say £12 a month for 12 months, then at the end you just need to settle another £100 tops.....possible less if you get them to do the sub cheap.....altho you could take it at the shop price and get them to chuck in cable)

Denon, Monitor Audio and REL work quite nicely together, i know because i have those makes in my setup....lol....for movies its fantastic, for music its sublime (relative to the price range).......altho im a little further up the kit chain on models (3910, 3803, MA Silver Series speakers, REL Strata 5)....but i tested the Bronze series too originaly, very nice speakers, lots of power and control of it for mid and bass, however because i listen to a lot of classical/jazz/big band type music as well as modern dance/hiphop and trance/ambient i found the treble control lacking compared to the Silvers for not really that much more money.......it wasnt bad, just the Silvers were very good for thier price range in my opinion....

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm not being funny here, but run by me the rationale of buying a Strata 5 over something like the BK Monolith or the SVS PB10...PJ

10. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hi there

Thanks for the advice but can’t see me going down the HP route, its just after the sub next comes a new centre speaker, then a new pair of fronts and move my crappy Phillips to the back making a 7.1 setup this means a pair of new stands. Then a new pair of rears, after that another pair of rears getting rid of the Phillips speakers.

After that maybe a midrange CD player, then the big one a new TV may it be LCD , Plasma, or CRT but HD ready, then a new sky box after that, well start again and change the amp he he oh what fun. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cheers Holo :smashin: :smashin:

11. bisaklatz

bisaklatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone,

I'm a novice looking for a sub which will complement my AV receiver, Pioneer VSX-D912, and my 5Channel Jamo Speaker Set, (E350-Floorstanding Main, E3Cen-Center & E3Sur-Suround).

My budget is around £200-250 only. I'm only looking for a good & decent sub but will not spend more than £300, coz i have some other priorities. Maybe a 10" sub will be great.

Can anyone suggest on a good deal sub, performance & price wise.

One more thing, maybe this is out of the topic but quite related, just want to know if the connector on my Receiver's Sub Pre-out is filtered or not? So i can have an idea on how to connect my receiver to my future sub.

Thank you very much.

12. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Mordaunt short 309 at Richer sounds is £230.
    Seems ok to me but still messing as I've only had it 5 days.
    I had a crappy one before and running the MS has killed my mid range :)
    I now have to play around and get the blend :smashin: .

Just one to consider mate :thumbsup:
    I'm sure others will throw some more in the pot.

13. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also just got the MS309 and am really happy with it. £215.90 at Peter Tyson with a free interconnect (mine came with a good quality IXOS one) and delivery. http://www.petertyson.co.uk/msavant309.shtml