Newbie looking for some help on atmos setup

Raj1980

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been reading loads of posts on this site and have been encouraged to build my home cinema. I have restrictions so not the ideal set up. The room is 4m x 3m which is in the middle of the house so perfect for the projector.

I am currently running a 7.1 set up and looking to swap to a 5.1.4. Being a small room i went for mini speakers.

I have:
Denon avr-x3600h
5x B&W m1 mk2s
4x B&W CCM664s that i plan to install.

The sofa cannot be moved too far forward due to double doors on the right and there is a 2m opening on the left wall leading into the kitchen.

The rear speakers will be removed and i am building a 22" wide pelmet around the room.

Now my questions...

Should i leave the rear sides at 90 degree from the MLP or move them back?

The rear ceiling speakers will go in the pelmet so the angle not perfect but not far off dolby recommendations and will be 115 degrees. Do i fit them in line with the front L and R or out to the edges?

Do i fit the front ceiling speakers in line or in the pelmet so wider than the rear ceiling?

I have drawn the layout and hope the options in the pics make sense..

Attachments

• 20200604_195711.jpg
    20200604_195711.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200604_200249.jpg
    20200604_200249.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200604_200308.jpg
    20200604_200308.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200604_200141.jpg
    20200604_200141.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Not that it matters to my questions but forgot to mention that the sub is a SVS SB 2000

Hi,

Your 2nd diagram is what I would do personally.

Regards

Hi Tamas,

Thank you for your reply. it was my preferred option as i will not need to cut holes in the ceiling and pay what i feel is crazy price for fire hoods. Is there any reason for this option? I would move the fronts to wider position to keep them in line with the ceiling speakers.

I think it would sound good, and you already know what is above.

As for moving the front speakers, I think they will be fine where they are.

Either way the atmos experience will be enveloping.

I would move the sides back slightly to around 100-110 degrees off axis. Issue with option 2 is that the atmos speakers are too close to the side walls, too far off axis & will clash with the sides.

Re Atmos, I would go for two rather than four. Too many speakers in a small room can lead to "audio fog" - simply too may speakers in too small a space. Soundfield becomes confusing and hard for the brain to differentiate where sound is supposed to be coming from. 5.1.2 Dolby home layout attached.

If you are set on four atmos, then I would refer to the attached Dolby "home" layout but bring then atmos layer "in" more towards the middle of the room slightly (as is done in the commercial setting) ie placed between the L/R and the Centre. 5.1.4 Dolby home layout attached.

Lastly, it's important to think about the dispersion of the ceiling / atmos speakers. Too far off axis and you will lose treble. Think of the sound coming from an in-ceiling speaker as a shower of water (sound.). If you are too far away from the shower, you won't get wet and will only get splashes of water (sound). You want to be far enough underneath the water (sound) so you get as much of the full frequency range of the speaker that you can. Obviously with "aimable" speakers this is less of an issue but with in-ceilings mounted flush against the ceiling it can be.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 08.49.42.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 08.49.42.png
    270.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 08.55.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 08.55.08.png
    401.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Hi Edgeyboy, thank you for reply. I was worried about having too many speakers close and did consider a 5.1.2 setup but most people then move to a 5.1.4 from the reviews i have read. This is the main reason i purchased 4 ceiling speakers.

I went for the b&w 664s as you can adjust the angle of the tweeter as i know my room layout is not ideal.

If i understand you correctly are you saying i should be looking at something closer to the 3rd pic i attached? I am going to be working on the pelmet and running the wires today.

Hi Edgeyboy, thank you for reply. I was worried about having too many speakers close and did consider a 5.1.2 setup but most people then move to a 5.1.4 from the reviews i have read. This is the main reason i purchased 4 ceiling speakers.

I went for the b&w 664s as you can adjust the angle of the tweeter as i know my room layout is not ideal.

If i understand you correctly are you saying i should be looking at something closer to the 3rd pic i attached? I am going to be working on the pelmet and running the wires today.

The angled tweeters will be a help. Yes, 3rd pic is preferrable.

Ultimately you decision re .2 or .4 and if you've bought the speakers already you may wish to go for .4 which is understandable.

If you could inch that sofa forward a little that would also be beneficial. All helps.

Thank you for the advice. Yes i have the boxes sitting in my office waiting to be fitted. 😁

I have started working on the cinema room and have encountered an issue. I have just built the pelmet and fitted the rear ceiling speakers. I then cut a small hole for the front ceiling speakers and there are water pipes running where i want to place the speakers.

Options. Move the speakers closer to the sofa by about 8" so about 55-60 degrees from mlp or fit them wider than the rears in the pelmet. That will allow the atmos angle but not in line.

What would be the best option? Pics attached.

Attachments

• 20200612_192016.jpg
    20200612_192016.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200612_192051.jpg
    20200612_192051.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back