1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie looking for help on first system.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tHatDudeUK, Dec 28, 2003.

1. tHatDudeUK

tHatDudeUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Firstly apologies for long post, please have a quick scan at some of the decoders I link to and offer comments etc. Thanks in advance.

Basically looking for a smallish but capable set-up with sufficient volume and good quality sound for my PC (nvidia soundstorm optical output dolby digital AC3 and all that). Main uses will be playing games, watching DVD's and listening to music. I currently use a mini hi-fi system by Aiwa which is adequate for analogue stereo but I'd like to move up to something nicer which I could possibly use in my Lounge when I move out from my mum's house :blush: with a dvd player and nice tv. (Finances permitting, lol.)

My budget is around £200 but could possibly stretch to £300 or stagger purchase of items. I already have 4 speakers from mini hi-fi systems. Just read the spec of the lowest spec speaker and it says 6ohms.

I have put a * next to the one's that strike me as interesting.

I have heard sony amps are crap so probably best to avoid them?

Possibe options for a half height decoder are as follows.

Pioneer VSXC100 silver £139.95 *

Sony STR-KSL5 £119.95

Pioneer VSXC301 Silver £159.95 *

Pioneer VSXC550-S £199.95

Full size decoders (preferred)

Pioneer VSXD512S £139.99 (out of stock :mad: ) *

Yamaha HTR5630 £129.95 * (also have HTR5640 for £219.95)

Teac AG5D £192.95 *

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Currently thinking the Yamaha HTR5630 if RicherSounds has it in stock....

Thanks in advance,

kind regards,

tHatDudeUK.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both Pioneer VSXD512S and Yamaha HTR5630 both look good and both should do the trick. I would go for the yammy if it were my money, i think it looks nicer and i find the specs a bit more likely...... the pio will NOT manage 80W all round, the yammy might manage its 60W though. Both have dd/dts/pl2/6channel in..... so ultimately the choice would come down to looks if you cant actually listen. (oh and i forgot the pio is a reciever.... so if you want a radio, go for it)

The teac, i wouldnt go for it, it is almost certainly miles overspecced and wont achieve that. It also misses the 6 channel input which much be important at a later point.

the half height..... sony looks dull and cant see any specs so i assume it cant be that good! All the others look pretty acceptable, but i would be keen to stick to a full heaigh design, it would almost certainly offer you better value for money, even if it is in return for having to put up with extra size.

All the best

ad

3. lewisn1

lewisn1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had a Pioneer VSXC100 silver for a few months now and in my opinion it sounds ace. I upgraded from an old sony pro-logic amp and this one seems a bargin at £140, go get it.

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just to let you know.

HTR5630RDS is only a 5channel amp, it is identical with older RX-V430RDS. The proper 6channel amp is called HTR5640RDS and is identical on the new RX-V440RDS.

And on the Richers website the 5640 cost only £200, and if you mention that in the store, you will get the same price, and you get a new amp with much better specs, for a lower price!!!

Up to £200 level, I think it is the best receiver in terms of hifi&homecinema sound/specs and future proofing, you can get.

Wasabi

5. tHatDudeUK

tHatDudeUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you Wasabi. Looking at http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/man_av_rcvr.htm confirms what you say and the 5640 also supports composite video which is nice for Plasma screens when one has lots of cash to get one (or they are reduced to a few hundred [I wish]) :)

I asked if they had the 5630 in stock today but they said no and anyhow the catalogue has an error and the real price is £160. Good thing I came back to do a little more research. Also the 5630 only has 2 digital inputs which isn't very good.

I must admit I am really tempted by the Teac AG5D as I can get it for around £180 and the aluminum and construction are damn nice compared to the more plastic like yamaha... However I can find barely any info on the Teac amp.

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    tHatDudeUK, just to let you know that it is component you want for plasma connections, not composite which is only a yellow cable, but it seems that you are not intending to purchase a plasma for a while, then it means component input are not needed. The cheapest new amp that has component inputs is the new Sony STR-DB790S (2 sets, and it also has 5 digital inputs) for £226. The Sony hasn't been tested extendedly yet, but I know that one UK and one German magazine gave it 5star.

The Pioneer 301 doesn't have component inputs, but it does have 2 RGB scarts input (extremely rare indeed) which is the next best and it is quite near component quality and also has 4 digital inputs. But it doesn't have 6 channel amp, which you might want in the future as dvds are rapidly including DTS-ES or DDEX tracks.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the Teac model.

Wasabi

7. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasabi, read your post with interest. I have just bought a Pioneer 301 and it has 3 RGB inputs and one RGB output. However, that aside can you answer this for me the guy at RS said it would be fine but not sure:

I will connect the DVD to amp by audio only (D-Coax) but will continue to use the Tosh 220 component to component on TV. Will this work?? I just thought it might not as wouldn't the amp switch the input to DVD and not find a video signal. :confused:

The Sony you mention may be required. Where did you see that price? Cheers.

8. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasabi,

The connections on the Sony are composites - just checked on Techtronics. Lovely spec on that amp though. V nice. Any ideas for a slim with component around this price range? Especially if the Pioneer issue above (no video) is true.

Thanks for input.

9. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  10. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasabi,

Thanks for the link. Bit confused as to who is right and the Sony site gives nothing away.

Any ideas on whether or not I will be able to use the DVD and amp connected to the TV my component. My thinking is that the amp input will take precedence and I will not get video as the amp will run thru different input.

11. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    blackspeech,

ask rupbert at this thread, he has a 790

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110857

I'm not sure what you mean with

"Any ideas on whether or not I will be able to use the DVD and amp connected to the TV my component. My thinking is that the amp input will take precedence and I will not get video as the amp will run thru different input."

What tv do you have?

Yes, D-coax (audio) to your amp, and you have either 2 options, 1. using scart from your dvd player to your amp>then another scart to your tv = benefit, if you only connect dvd player and not other things, e.g. ps2 and freeview etc, then it makes sense as you can use 1 remote to control both audio and video. But video quality wise, makes no sense as you will lose signal quality the longer the cables are.

2. Just run the scart or component from your dvd player to scart or component on your tv, for all video signals and then d-coax for audio to amp, if you only have the dvd player as the source. This is the most effective way I reckon.

Wasabi

12. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Wasabi. Sorted it out I was wondering if the amp would force the TV to switch inputs therefore not allowing me to select the component in (Video).

Now have watched Disc 1 of Two Towers. Also noticed a big difference in the quality between Dolby Digital and DTS. The DTS (on my amp at least) comes out with far more definition and is louder than the DD.

I know DTS is meant to be higher spec but the difference was quite dramatic. Also selected the amp to use 'Virtual Back' adding a virtual rear speaker - that is cool.

Thanks - may your DVD collection be blessed with many offspring in 2004.