1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie looking for cable info - thanx

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by justray, Jan 12, 2005.

1. justray

justray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

just bought (on ebay for £200) a NAD 3020, KEF Codas, Denon DCD 655 and a Sony tuner and am now thinking about cable. I've looked extensively on t'internet and here and am now thoroughly confused - help. Can you guys give me some advice on what sort of names I should be looking at and what sort of money I should spend, also any pitfalls to avoid. Screw on, banana plugs, gold plate, bi-wiring ......... ahhh - what does it all mean?&%$£

Any help appreciated - Ta.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have a good search here through the cables section of the forum,and you'll get every debate,and view on the topic!

Being honest,there's a lot of nonsense talked about cables,and at the sort of price level you're looking at,I really wouldn't go mad on cabling.....get some decent,but not excessive interconnects and speaker cables.....have a look at brands like Ixos and QED,and no doubt the others here will add many to that.

As for plugs etc.....banana plugs or spades on speaker cables will ensure a reliable,clean connection each time,that won't degrade as the cable gets frayed from being moved or reconnected,but again,don't spend large amounts on the connectors themselves.
    Gold plating is all very well,but again is there to ensure a clean and non-oxidised connection surface,but not strictly necessary.
    Bi-wiring....another contentious issue.....works for some speakers and amps,but not others,and if your speakers acept it,give it a try with some reasonably priced cable....if it works,fine,if not,little lost....works very well on my 805s,but I've used other speakers where it has made no difference.