1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie looking for advice on Toshiba

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bluemaxyboy, Jan 11, 2005.

1. bluemaxyboy

bluemaxyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys & gals (although guess there are few ladies here)
    I'm new to this so go easy on me. A few questions for our resident experts that I can't find on the searches. I think everyone will know just how rusty I am when I tell you my amp is a Yamaha RXV590RDS (same as a DSP A590).

I have just purchased a 36ZP46 (£799 from currys)
    No geometry problems (that I can see), I'm guessing this is basically how square the image is displayed within the confines of the screen ?????.
    I Have put bboy-mass settings in and am pleased to say the picture is excellent, although I think this may be down to 3 things (in this order)
    1 bboy-mass settings
    2 The transmitter over here was on reduced power (now rectified)
    3 I think the screen has settled in (not sure if anyone will believe this one)

Would anyone have personal experience of the following dvd players when used with this TV. Please feel free to diss the prices etc.
    Toshiba SD340 (£80 Laser-not yet multiregioned how difficult is it ???)
    Pioneer DV370 (£75 Flicks N.Ireland-multiregioned)
    Sony DVPNS £95 (Sony centre-multiregioned)

I noticed the Currys leads referred to in an earlier post for £10 are these the JVC JX-150. I have a set of these and was planning on using them with one of the above players as component leads?????

I am considering connections as follows
    Ext 1 Phillips freeview (formerly On-digital) scart to scart
    Ext 2 Sony playstation 1
    Ext 3 Panasonic (NVHD-430) video with link through set up from Ext 5 for camcorder editing/transfering.
    Ext 4 Replacement DVD via aforementioned Currys JX-150 lead.

I have always worked on the 10-15% principle when speccing interconnects is this sound advice or unwise?? Most of the local suppliers are recommending leads at £50-60, almost the cost of the player Shurley shum mishtake.

My queries are, is it better to use the video loop through for rgb from the freeview and use one scart lead or use individual leads for each device.
    And how do you determine wether the TV is using A/V or RGB for the input on Ext 1&2?
    Incidentially whats the difference between A/V,RGB on the inputs. The book only details changing Ext3 to S-video etc.

Guys ALL feedback will be gratefully received.
    Regards
    Steve

P.S. I adjusted the glass shelves (lowered Approx 1" 25mm) to allow me to fit my centre speaker on the top shelf.

2. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Sorry to go OT, but i'd be intersted to know how you adjusted the glass shelves as I also face the same problem.

Also considering a new Tosh DVD player. Current one is superb but has no component. Also handy to control both of the same remote.

TIA

3. bluemaxyboy

bluemaxyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about going off topic (OT ??). Everything is relevant.
    When I measured the shelf spacing I realised the centre speaker wouldn't fit (Jamo center 100, I know its old but so am I and I still work well when the notion takes me) I took a few measurements and Drilled and tapped two holes where I wanted them (approx 7") and fitted a couple of modesty/shelf blocks at the rear, then simply drilled and slotted the over trim to suit, Unfortunately you end up with two slots, personally I felt it was a small price to pay as I feel the centre speaker would look KAK on the top. I am working on retrimming the over trim with sticky black plastic or possibly carbon fibre trim to cover the unwanted slots.
    Needless to say the wife was suitably unimpressed with me drilling holes in a 1 hour old £800 TV. Something that has been bothering me, my wife and I collected the TV from our local Currys (can't deliver to our home as invariably no one is in when they call) in our Nissan X-Trail and talk about a close fit (1-2" to spare on height), now heres the strange bit, we unpacked, assembled and placed the TV on the stand (36ZP46) by ourselves. Now I am 5'6" about 11 stone and my wife is 5'3" and 10 stone, what are we doing right?????? (she was struggling towards the end though and we expect her out of traction soon!!!)

Steve

PS I still do not understand most of the acronyms or abbreviations!