Newbie:- looking for advice on set-up NOT SURE IF IN CORRECT FORUM - Adm move if need

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ebiumn, May 4, 2003.

1. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have the following set-up.

Television:- Panasonic TX-W32D4DP 100mhz widescreen
    3 x scart, 1 is RGB in

Video :- Panasonic NV-HS950B S-VHS, 2 x scart, 1 is RGB

DVD :-Wharfdale DVD-750

This set-up is a few years old and has the 5 speakers that come with the TV, I also have analog telewest cable going to this tv and another 2 in the house.

I have a man coming to put a new aerial up this week and run co-axial to 5 rooms in the house.

My plan is to get rid of the monthly sub to telewest and get freeview box's at each tv.

I was thinking to keep the TV and Video and get a new DVD recorder, amp, speakers and freeview box. After a bit of investigation and reading some mags i've come up with this list

Panasonic HS2 multi region
    Pioneer 2011
    KEF 2005 eggs
    Nokia 211

I was wondering if this is a ok setup, and now ive seen that new kef eggs are due out and HS2 is being replaced with larger disk machines, not sure whether to wait.

The reason for the panny recorder is I have a panny dv camcorder, so this connects via dv-in and I also have a Minolta dimage 7i and the recorder seems to allow easy transfer from pcmcia to dvd.

Any suggestions welcome

EDIT :- Also ideas on whether this lot will connect up ok, including my S-VHS Video.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pio 2011 is way above the the Kef Eggs- you don't need anything that fancy. The lower model 1011 should be OK.

The Pioneer is supposed to sound a bit bright, so compare the Pio with Denon/Yamaha and the Kef Eggs.

Interested in freeview myself, seems the Nokia 211 is the best unit - although ugly & bit of useless shape (ie not a standard stackable box)

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    With regard to the HS2 - it really is a fantastic piece of kit. Yes it is being replaced with the E80/100 - and there is also a Toshiba model you may want to look at (as it is cheaper and with a bigger HDD) - but ultimately the functionality of all current DVDR/HDDs are the same, i.e. the ability to copy you recordings to/from the HDD, edit them and copy back to DVD-Rs (or DVD-RAMs). They are extremely flexible machines and IMHO the best possible home recording solution currently available.

I know for a fact the HS2 connects upto a SVHS VCR fine (as mine is linked to my JVC).

4. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so is the 2011 going to cause problems with the kef eggs?

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    It won't cause a problem , but, the quality of the amp is superior to the KEF eggs. If your prepared to spend more get a better speaker and sub combination or stick with the eggs and get the cheaper amp and save some money.

6. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The room that the system is in isn't that large, and relatives have just brought the Bose (dont want these) speakers, and my wife likes the size of them, so I want a smallish speaker. The 2011 sounds very good, and the kef eggs seemed to get good reviews, but im open to other ideas

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would save some cash and look at Denon 3803/2803 And aalso look at athony GalloMicros, See the powerbuy Forum. Do you listen to much 2 channel music? If you do a dual purposes system might be a good idea, saves on space. Also Have a look at B&W VM1/AS1 speaker set ups.

8. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Hi-Fi seperate stack in another room, so this is mainly for watching TV / DVD, and only the occasional CD

9. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so what speakers would compliment the 2011 and hs2?