1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie - lookin to spend £150 on a micro system...help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chromeman, Feb 23, 2003.

1. chromeman

chromeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I am looking at buying a micro system with decent power output. I like the wood finish ones. What websites/shops are good to buy a stereo from? I found this one which is £199.99 in Argos. Any advice is appreciated...thanks for your time!

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  3. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chromeman

If it were my money, I'd be going with CJROSS' suggestion. I see that RicherSounds (www.richersounds.co.uk) sell the same Denon system for £175 without the speakers as another option.

Having said that, the Sony system is £150 in your link which is obviously cheaper that the £200 you say Argos are charging.

I don't think the Sony will be a patch on the Denon for sound quality but if you're just after a fairly nice looking mini-system then you can always take advantage of the Argos 16 day money back guarantee!

Regards

Richard

4. chromeman

chromeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply peeps! Unfortuneately its a birthday present and I'm only allowed uo to £150! Are there any cheaper Denon ones which are good quality? Thanks again!

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I know money may be tight Chrome weve all been there, but for £25 more you can the Denon listen on earphones until you can get a little pair of £50 speakers ie Kef Cresta 1s from Empire Direct etc etc, trust me on this you are at a critcal juncture here, £175 for this hifi system is a steal, even worth listenig on headphones for a couple of months.

I will say no more !!

6. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chromeman

There's every chance that you'll be happy with a cheaper system (Sony/JVC etc - not sure about cheaper Denon models) and you may find something you can happily listen to. If you do want to go down that route, my advice is to buy one and then never come back here or buy a hi-fi mag ever again.

Otherwise, you will be sucked in and then there's no getting out. You'll be back here in 12 months asking CJROSS about DACs I guarantee it :D .

It happens to all of us - I bought a full home cinema set up but then wanted to improve the hi-fi side of things. I bought the arcam cd72 but then what next? Add a hi-fi amplifier or upgrade my KEFs? And then I 'needed' a subwoofer so I 'had' to buy one of those.

Whatever your finances, its always the same :suicide: .

Hope this helps!!!

Richard

7. jammods

jammods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spend the extra £25 on the DM30........If money is reeeaally tight ...try and find the older model DM-3, that should be available somewhere... I have its an excellent system,
    IF theres any stocks left you should get it for SUB £150.

Then when you save up £40-50 get some Missions from richer sounds, then when you have another £30 get some Gale stands.

Thats my opinion, hope it helps