1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Lookin For Some Advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Mwillo, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Mwillo

Mwillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking a purchasing my first camcorder and would appreciate some advice on the following points.

1. The Camcorder – Firstly I don’t have much money to spend I have say a maximum of £450 for the camcorder itself, so after searching around the net and visiting the local Dixon’s and places like that I have found a Panasonic NVDS29B for £380 pounds from Empire. If anyone has any advice on this camera or one a similar price.

2. What Software / Hardware will I need to connect this to my computer so I can edit the picture on my pc. I have a very good spec PC with plenty of storage space, I also have and audigy Platinum sound card with firewire.

3. Are there any decent sites out there that can help me along?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry it's taken so long for anyone to reply. First, go buy a copy of Computer Video and check out their website.

Any reasonable mini DV camera will do to start but you should look for one with DV in as well as out. Due to ridiculous EC duty a lot of the cheaper ones don't have the in. Check if the Creative card is OHCI compliant. If it is you should be able to use it for DV.

If you have no experience of editing packages on computers you might want to download a (fully functioning) demo. One of the best for people without any prior knowledge is Vegas Video Lite from Sonic Foundry (Just do a search to find the url.

Hope this is of some help.

3. Mwillo

Mwillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice, I have checked the card out and it is OHCI complient.

I will also look at other camcorders with DV In as well (techtronics do the Panasonic NVDS30B for 399.00 which as DV In... It also comes with a free spare battery)

Also what is the benefit of DV in on the camcorder sorry if this is a silly question.

Cheers

Mark

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mark,

I have a Panasonic '35' which doesn't have the DV in but otherwise I'm very happy with it. You will definitely want at least one spare battery whatever you get.

The reason for wanting DV IN is simple. Video (at decent quality) takes up a hell of a lot of disk space and the only cost effective way of keeping an edited version of a project is to transfer it back to DV on the camcorder. You could buy a seperate DV deck but these are expensive, or a DVD writer and use this to save the project as data if it isn't too long.

5. Mwillo

Mwillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    see i knew it was a silly question

thanks for you advice

i have picked up acopy the the magazine

and have settled on the Panasonic NVDS30B as it has dv in.

mark

6. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Best of luck and happy shooting! Don't forget to get a high capacity battery too. Unless you can get a deal it doesn't have to be a genuine Panasonic one. I've been using a Hama one with mine and it's fine.

7. Neil

Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have found a web site called vcdhelp.com to be very informative on how to edit video on your PC and then write it out to svcd or dvd.

Several complete guides on mpeg compression and burning s/w.

8. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that. It can be a frustrating business but once you have a methodology which works, it should be reasonably straightforward.