1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie long question..Please help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paraiso36, Jul 13, 2004.

1. paraiso36

paraiso36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Day,

Glad to be in this forum.I recently bought a DVD player (an absolutely normal one ), and I was ready to buy a 5.1 surround system when I noticed all this compression surround systems ( Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic I, II, etc. ) and my confussion was apocalyptic. I am really a begginer in all of this so I would really appreciate if you can answer some questions. First of all in the manual of my DVD player there is some info which I think it is important:

1.- Digital Audio Converter 24bit/96Khz of Hi-Fi professional Level
    2.- Video Component Selection Output, S-Video Output, Composite Video Output, Optical and Coaxial.
    3.- Digital Analog Converter 128Khz/24bit.
    4.- Digital Audio Output. The coaxial/ optic fibre output, let you plug an external amplifier with 6 channels of AV, built with Dolby Digital, to process the digital codes MPEG or DTS which are modulated in 1 cable.
    5.- Dual AC-3 and DTS Decoder. Decodes Dolby AC-3 and DTS signal and the output is through 6 Analog Channels.

Well, above are the most relevant specs of my player in terms of audio and video and here begin my set of questions...I would really be glad if someone could help me so as to make a good decision when buying a set of active speakers for my player.

1.- Looking the specs of my DVD I will only be able to listen Dolby Digital and DTS movies??..I mean..I wont be able to listen..let say, Prologic I or II movies?
    2.- Based on my previous question, if I bought an active 5.1 system speaker with DTS, Dolby Digital and Prologic I and II will I be able to listen a movie with Prologic II ( for example ) which it seem not supported by my player. I mean the speakers support Prologic II but the DVD player specs dont mention it ..so will I be able to listen to a Prologic II movie even if my player doesnt support it?..This opens my next question,

3.- My DVD player mention DTS and Dolby Digital. Someone here told me that to listen a movie with both of this formats I needed a 5.1 speaker set supporting the same formats...I really cant understand why if my player decodes both format I also need a speaker system supporting this formats...I mean, I tend to think that if my player decodes both format there isnt any need for a 5.1 set of speakers supporting them ( I mean with Dolby Digital and DTS logo )...All the way round, if I have a Prologic II compatible 5.1 speakers my player also needs to support this format to play a movie with this format?

4.- This formats supported by my player depends on the type of connection you use?.. For example ( only an hypothetical example ), if I want to listen a movie with DTS and I have a 5.1 DTS compatible speaker system with only analog connectors, will it work plugging this connectors with the same ones of my player or the only way ( for example ) to listen DTS movies is using my DVD player optical connection thus making this speakers obsolete because although they support DTS format they only have analog connection?..So in summary... Is the sound compression format dependent of the type of connection you use?

All of the above questions are my main problems and from them you can realize I am a bit ignorant about the subject.I have read lot of stuff searching in Intertet but they only explain the theory of the different compression formats...not something related to my questions..I am asking them because here in my country I have 3 possibilities to buy:

1.- A simple unexpensive 5.1 active set of speakers with remote control and analog rear conectors.
    2.- A Fidek FSA-2800 active home cinema system supporting at least Dolby Digital, Q sound and DTS ( I have no other info if it support other formats so I asume they are the only ones ).
    3.- A LG FA-P3000 active home theater very similar to Fidek but supporting Dolby Digital, DTS, DSP, Prologic I and II and with analog, optical and coaxial connectors.

The first one is the cheapest. Both Fidek and LG are around the same value ( like 45 dollars more expensive the LG ) but cost double than the first option. So, deppending of the answer of my questions I can decide which one to buy. If you tell me that the compression format is independent of the type of connector and as my player decodes DTS and Dolby Digital I will not be able to play any other format even if a speaker support more of them and finally, I do need speakers supporting both formats of my DVD player, I buy the Fidek ( DTS, Dolby Digital,analog connectors ). If you answer the same thing recently mentioned, but tell me that if my player decodes Dolby Digital and DTS I dont need speakers supporting this formats because with my player is enough, I buy the cheaper good quality raw 5.1 system with analog connectors. But if you tell me that for example to listen a DTS movie I need to use the optical connection of my player ( and only this connector ) I buy the LG which have optical, coaxial and analog plugs. Futhermore, if you tell me than even though my player doesnt seems to support for example Prologic II but if a use a 5.1 system supporting this format, I will be able to listen a movie with Prologic II, then I buy the LG..

Well thats all, sorry for the lenght of this quote...I really hope someone will be able to light my path even though it may cost him some of his time. I like to mention that I dont want to buy a receiver and I dont need an “ extra super plus sound quality “ in my system because I want to listen movies in my room not making great noise....Thanks you very much...

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Welcome to the forum and I hope that your second question is not as confusing as the first.

Your DVD player will output all of the popular formats so that when you watch a film you will have a choice of the sound in Dolby Digital, DTS or PL or PL2 dependant on what formats are actually encoded onto the film.

You say that you want an active speaker system and not a Receiver but the LG system that you have quoted is actually a 5.1 speaker system with an inbuilt amplifier.

The normal way to connect the equipment is to connect the dvd player to the LG via either a digital co-axial cable or an optical cable. When you replay a DVD it will output the signal to the LG which will decode it for you.

The DVD player also has built in decoders which are a duplicate of the LG's decoders but I don't think that you can use them as you would need to pass the decoded signal via the six channel analogue outputs on the back of the dvd player to a suitable equipped amplifier and I don't think that the LG has the necessary connections.

It doesn't matter though as outputting the signal digitally to be decoded by the LG is probably the better option.

3. paraiso36

paraiso36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome...and sorry about the confussion of my post...not knowing what to ask makes difficult to ask properly...Nevertheless, I am learning fast and from your answer I can comment and ask again:

1.- The LG has Analog connectors, optical and coaxial. The Fidek only has analog
    2.- From your response...it is ok to understand that if you have a DVD player DTS and AC-3 compatible it can decode both formats and output the sound via any connector ( analog, optical and coaxial )?

3.- Again...If my speakers supports Prologic II ( for example ) but my DVD player only DTS and AC-3, may I asume from your answer that if the movie has Prologic II format, it will bypass the player and will be decoded by the speakers?...I mean from your response I get that both playe rand speakers has decoders built in...

4.- Now I have a new option...yesterday a new audio store opened ( really a big one )...There they have a Moviestar 60 Wharfedale 5.1 speakers...similar in price that the other two..I will have to investigate this brand because I am new in the field...

Thanks again...

4. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    DVD players will output Dolby Digital and DTS from the same digital output - you can choose to use the optical link or the coaxial one, depending on the input your receiver has. You don't need a different output for each sound format.

Dolby Prologic II is a variant of prologic - if your source (dvd, vhs, satellite etc) is outputting a prologic signal, a DPL II receiver can "convert it" to Prologic II.