1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie LCD Tech question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Wobag, May 21, 2005.

1. Wobag

Wobag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    First post, so forgive me if this is has been covered before...

Im starting to look into the possibility of moving to an LCD screen at some point. Right now I have a conventional CRT set, and as is widely stated, the blacks on LCDs just arent up to the jet blacks you can get on other video display methods. Thats an aspect of picture quality I really dont want to sacrifice.

Anyone who has seen recent models of laptop will have spotted Sonys X-Black screens, also called Tru-Bright and various other things by other manufacturers. As I understand it, this is a special coating which elimiates much of the light scatter that causes unlit LCD pixels to appear to be dark grey rather than black, the contrast is really something, it looks just like a CRT, but flat as regular LCDs

Ive been looking around, certain that this feature would be bound to be employed on LCD tvs, but with no luck. Have I been looking in the wrong place, are the models on the way, or is there a technical restriction that prevents its use on larger screens than laptops have?