Newbie just purchased his first Plasma. thanks for the help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jameshopkins, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jameshopkins

jameshopkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the advice of members, a few minutes ago I purchased a Samsung PS50Q97HDX from PRC Direct; after ordering I read a couple of review on the forum about their customer service, but am going to take a risk! This is a great forum with some great input, and look forward to many more hours on it!

2. markygfaebburn

markygfaebburn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Let us know how you get on, I'm going to purchase one from prc at the weekend but never heard of them before so a bit cautious...

3. jameshopkins

jameshopkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let everyone know that I received my Samsung on time (yesterday) without any hassle whatsoever, so would thoroughly recommend PRC Direct for their customer service and own delivery.

The Samsung is amazing - the viewing distance is only like 4ft (far from ideal I know)- I bought it as I'm buying a flat very soon which should have a lot more space in it.

I'm currently running component to my 360, just wondering if HDMI might be a bit better - what does everyone think?

4. anditsinthere

anditsinthere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Did you take out warranty with the tv? just very uneasy buying over the internet with regards to things going wrong :rolleyes:

5. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Over on the 360 forum the opinion is that there is little difference between component and HDMI for most TV's - unless of course you have cheap component leads or the TV doesnt handle component well in which case you will probably see visible ghosting around text etc. If you have a HDMI 360 then get a cheap HDMI lead and give it a whirl.

6. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,773
    4 feet from a 50"er :eek:

Must be like sitting in the Odeon.

7. Pepperami

Pepperami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When you move, dont forget, the Plasma MUST remain in the UPRIGHT position it must never be laid flat... so im told lol .... I wont move mine now its rooted and staying lol

8. Oakey22

Oakey22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pepperami, how do they service them if you cant lay them flat? its easiest to get the panels if laid flat.

9. jameshopkins

jameshopkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's great - obviously pixels are sometime viewable more easily than I would like them to be, but it's not for long; just until I move into my new flat.

Yes I did - I took out there extended 2 year warranty (deceptively, they include the 1 year manafactures warranty when they list there extended warranties - e.g warranty extended by 2 years - they list as an extended 3 years).

So all in all (TV, delivery within 2 days and 2 extra years on warranty) = £1052. Pretty good price I think.

Oakey22, why must the Plasma stay in the upright position when moving?

As I'm using it just for Xbox at the mo, I am getting some burn, on static objects (speed dials) on Project Gotham etc; I've google screen burn, and have done everything they say I should do (turn the contrast down to or under 50%, utilise plasma's anti-burn technology (in this case, pixel shifting)) - is there anything else I can do to stop this?

10. jameshopkins

jameshopkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I'm just doing some research on plasma burn-in and using them for gaming, and leaving a game's HUD on in particular. Kind of thinking that I didn't do enough research and should have got an LCD for gaming? Please put me out my anguish!

11. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There's a big difference between laying it flat on a bench and laying it flat and having suspension travel bouncing it up and down making the panel flex.