1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie just purchased AVR300 + DV79 - Tips?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Janibrewski, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Janibrewski

Janibrewski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to the world of HiFi - was set to buy a new tv and these boards (avsforum.com) got me to go from keeping my old HTIB stuff to upgrading. I was set on a Denon 4306 and one of the Denon DVD players - but ended up going with ARCAM gear based on recommendations at AVS and Totem (the maker of my speakers, Forests and Model-1 sig center).

I got the AVR300 and my dealer tried to sell me on the DV29 over the DV79, but being new to all this I had a hard enough time justifying the price of the 79.

It is on order, so if I am to rethink I need to do it now. From what I can gather the main improvement to going to the 29 would be CD sound quality - is that right?

I don't think I can justify the extra cash unless there is a significant difference...

I'm new to all this, so any advice is appreciated!

Also, I've read rumors about a new AVR coming out in January - please tell me that doesn't make an AVR300 decision a mistake...

EDIT - does it bother you guys that ARCAM can't do SACD? There don't seem to be many DVD-A's out there...

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Janibrewski,

Lots of questions there :)

DV29 does give improvement on CD quality, but also build quality, and HDMI v1.1 are the main others. Best to try it out yourself in a demo if you can, see if you can see the picture and sound improvements over the DV79. But if the money doesn't stretch, you won't be disappointed with the DV79.

As for no SACD/DVD-A debate, there are varying opinions on that. Do a search in this forum for SACD and you'll get various opinions. For me, having DVD-A was a bonus, but one I don't really use. I only have 3 DVD-A discs. I listen to a lot more CD's than DVD-A's, but watch a hell of a lot more DVD's than either. So it really wasn't something that I needed when I bought my DV29.

As for the new AVR, that's news for us here. We're aware of the new AV9 replacing the AV8 on it's way, but that'll be no comparison on the AVR300 for price. Also the recently released AVP700/P1000 pre/power amp, which is still a significant cost increase on the standalone AVR300. Is this the one you have heard of? Or is it something else?

Cheers

Andy

3. Janibrewski

Janibrewski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Andy - If it's news to you all, then it is clearly not good information. Someone on the avsforum.com site stated that at Cedia Arcam showed a new AVR to replace the AVR300, but I'm going to assume they have it mixed up with the AV9 unless I see it again.

4. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I had the 300 and a 78 for a long time and it gave me hours and hours of faultless performace.

Trouble is, once you have stepped on the hi fi/ av ladder then its downhill all the way.
    Empty bank account, criedit card maxed out etc etc. But what the hell, once youve got the gear home its worth it.

I can second what LFC has said, the dv79 is an excellent dvd player, but to be honest, if you want good quality cd playback then save some more and in the future buy a dedicated cd player. The difference will be very noticeable.

Hope this hasnt put you off!!!

5. Janibrewski

Janibrewski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fear what you say is true. Dammit....