1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie(ish) needs help on Rear Projection

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gedclink, Oct 31, 2001.

1. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks..Planning to buy a rear projection telly.

Still can't make my mind up on the Toshiba 56 Who8b
    versus Sony 51KP-ds1 which has a digital tuner..

I was in Comet and saw these tellies side by side and to be frank the picture on the Toshiba was pretty crap with lots of
    " fuzziness " and " ghosting ". The sony was MUCH sharper..

All my tv comes through Telewest digital cable as my terrestrial aerial fell down last year.

Questions:

Was the better picture on the sony due to the digital tuner??

Can anyone pass on information on either of these tellies as I really can't make my mind up..?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Ged
    P.S Any companies in Scotland that people can recommend who have knowledgable staff and a good demo facility?

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,411
    Hi,

I just brought a 40wh08b and the picture is fantastic. The problem with shops are they have one feed or so going to 30 tvs!, and you will never get an ideai of the quality, unless they are willing to connect a dvd player up for you.

I thought the sony screens were far too relfective, my tosh is not reflective at all!, so i have heard great things about the tosh 46, not 56. At the end of te day people will favour different tvs and the choice is yours.

rai

3. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,411
    Hi,

I just brought a 40wh08b and the picture is fantastic. The problem with shops are they have one feed or so going to 30 tvs!, and you will never get an ideai of the quality, unless they are willing to connect a dvd player up for you.

I thought the sony screens were far too relfective, my tosh is not reflective at all!, so i have heard great things about the tosh 46, not 56. At the end of te day people will favour different tvs and the choice is yours.

rai

ps,

The ghosting is linked to bad reception, and i assume the fuzziness will follow because off that!, you will not get that with dvd or a really good reception.

4. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely right. Big electrical stores generally do not show TV's off at their best because of daisy chaining the RF signal through wet string from the managers set top aerial ;)

Sony TV's do tend to look a little better but they possibly have better quality components with a higher tolerance to crud. Reflective screens tend to look sharper in the way that a glossy photograph looks sharp compared to one with a matt finish.

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, make the mistake of judging a TV's picture quality by what you see in the store, 99 times out of 100 you will make an incorrect judgement.

DO, by all means, check out Sony's widescreen LCD RPTV's. They truly are visions of beauty.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    raigraphixs....

Need some info on the Tosh 40WH08B as I am considering buying this model.

What is the picture like under daytime lighting conditions?

Is the picture comparable to a 36" 100Hz Panasonic or Sony glass tube TV?

What is the viewing angle like?

Any convergence or geometry problems?

Does the 100Hz mode make the picture (i.e sports) better or worse and can you turn this option off ?

Amything else I should know about this TV (good or bad)?

Many thanks

6. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,411
    Need some info on the Tosh 40WH08B as I am considering buying this model.
    What is the picture like under daytime lighting conditions?

No probls what so ever, I have constrast and brightness at about 45/40, and the screen is no reflective.
    Is the picture comparable to a 36" 100Hz Panasonic or Sony glass tube TV?

Cant really say, but are'nt crt tvs better anyway, basically i found if i was going to buy projection, i would like it, it feels different, but behaves like a normal tv, basically i was impressed. I cannot compare it to 36", and at the moment in my room next to it is a portable, and that will ALWAYS look fantastic (picture) due to the very small size. You will notice more about picture quality as the screen gets bigger, but check out this forum for those who lover their 46" tosh tvs, so it cant all be bad in picture dept. But to some up, i would say compared to my 33 tosh tv (4:9), that things look a better on that tv, but its all about what you get used to, and i will eventually get used to the rp tv, personally i have no quams.

Due to the on gong saga about screen burn, i am only using my rp tv for dvd movies only, and films like shrek R1 and 'superbit' Fifth Element, the sequence where bruce drives his taxi through all the traffic at start, and is chased by the police look so rich, and has a 3d feel, as the cars come towards you. , Bugs Life, Gladitor, Pitch Black, all look fantasic, even using the cinema mode to enlarge the picture, to lose black borders!!.

My brother made the comment that the picture has a cinema feel. I am enjoying my films more now. Eventually when i get a dvd player with component sockets and progressive scan (r1 only), the pictures will look even better. I think he was in awe of the quality of the films as i was.

Have you noticed how the menus on dvd films always look to clean and sharp and usally better than the film, and that is a good test for the picture quality of a tv, because the rest of the film and sky pictures, etc are down to how good the film was recorded and encoding of the image. Hope that makes sense.

I would like someone elses input about sky pictue quality on 40 who8b, I have just connected my sky box just for you, and well, some things are sharp and some a lad soft, really again depends on the broadcast image, as studio shots and interviews people (Chelsea tv) look great, but outdoor footage like football is not at its best, but not off putting at all it has a very digital feel about it , its hard to describe, basically i think you really need to sit 4 metres away for best viewing distance, i sit about 2.5 metres so am seeing more in the sky image than i would like. I just watch a little of scream 2 on channel 4 and its looked just right, not over sharp or too soft, but on dvd it would look much better would'nt it.

Theres some tingley dot interfence on logos, etc. BUT again these problems are not on dvd, so its really not the tv but the source material at the end of the day. Like i say, i only brought the tv for i could have a cinema feel at home, so i only watch dvds, when did you last go to the cinema to watch mtv, or the news?.
    What is the viewing angle like?

Vertical viewing angle is very very limited, and face on is best, but sides is not to much of a problem.
    Any convergence or geometry problems?
    No, even though i have converged a little only due to curosity, but if you have problems, a engineer will get the best out of the tv for you. I had to take my tv up some stairs, at an angle, so i was worried, but there was no problems, and i do not need an engineer, but may do in the future just so he can tweak it to be even better.
    Does the 100Hz mode make the picture (i.e sports) better or worse and can you turn this option off ?

Well the truth is i have found very minor or some case none differences with these options.
    Anything else I should know about this TV (good or bad)?

I have no bad points, as i am using my own videologic dts speakers, the sound is amazing on films, though normal tv speakers as excellent, i have not even unpacked my rears or my glass cabinet (all purchased from hispek, with 5 year onsite warranty).

Good:
    Excellent picture, various with dvd encoding, panthom meance is very sharp, too sharp, and shrek is just right, really depends on the film, and of couse your dvd player and leads.

Great colour on films.

Lots of options to tweak the picture; colour, contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc, and tweak convergence via the menu and the service menu (engineers), and the geometry (have not used that yet).

Bad points;, basically you might have little problem, but when you hear about people who have problems with their 28 widescreen tv to plasma, no tv is perfect and the tosh 40wh08b is no where as bad as i read about, basically i brought one for this reason only; it has won awards with a least 3 major home cinema magazines, and they cant all be wrong.

Hope all this helps,
    Like you i had to make a decision, and as i wanted the tv for my bedroom, its weight was important to me, and its depth. I put my picture quality trust into the awards its won as none of the shops could help. So for me this was the tv to go for. If you need it to be a family tv, you may go for a tubed 36", but it may be problematic, you will have to just cope. But a least you will not worry about screen burn, when you watch sky and play console games on it. I have a seperate tv for all that.

cheers
    rai

7. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gedclick

Just like to say that I also checked out both TV's that you mention.
    The 51" Sony is a great TV and I would compare it with the 46Wh08 TV rather than the 56WH08. No matter where I saw the 56" the picture was always poor. We had the shop plug in a DVD player and still the picture was crap in contrast the 51" Sony and the 48PS1 were a lot better. I eventually bought a 46WH08 due to the large price difference. This is a good TV but if you can afford the 51" Sony I'd go for that. My friend has one and I'm always impressed by the picture so much more than mine.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Rai...

Thanks a lot for your very informative and helpful reply.
    I'm swaying more and more towards an RP TV. The 'cinematic' look to films does appeal to me.

Just one other thing, as it has a narrow vertical viewing angle should I go for the optional cabinet (which adds about a foot to the overall height) or not. Seating height is your average armchair height.

Jingy

51" is way too big a screnn for my living room, although I am considering the 41" Sony KP SD1.. with buit in digital tuner.

9. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the owner of a few Sony RPTV's (currently on a KL50W2) I would steer clear of their own cabinets as they are either too expensive or too tall. The stand for the KL50W2 is ridiculously high, I bought a nice birch stand from IKEA that fits the bill perfectly and positions the set so that head height is in the centre of the screen. Perfect. Cost £79.00, cost of the Sony cabinet £250.00!!! No contest.

By the way. I had very good reason to choose an LCD over the previous CRT models, the picture speaks for itself.

10. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,411
    Hi Kevo,

I have not had time to make up the cabinet, which i got with my package. I think it will help with my viewing, as at the moment i am a little slumped in my seat, almost horizontal. If the cabinet does not work, i will put it next to the wall and put my players in there.

rai