1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie: is it worth getting a projector for a room this size and shape?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by littlemonkey, Jul 23, 2005.

1. littlemonkey

littlemonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

My first post after having viewed this forum for many months, I appreciate the overwhelming amount of excellent and informative reviews, opinions etc from all you AV experts!

I currently own a good quality 21" LG flatscreen telly, but this is old and (size and aspect-wise) substandard these days; hence, I am considering purchasing an entry-level projector (budget £600 - considering Epson TW10H), mainly to view films, but also to connect my Xbox.

Now, I've read the FAQ's for this DLP/LCD forum, and couldn't see my question answered, and so I'd like to kindly ask for your advice:

is it worth me getting a projector given that

- I intend to mount the projection screen on the chimney breast, above the mantelpiece
    - distance between chimney breast and back wall is 11ft
    - girlfriend would prefer not to have any reconstruction carried out, so would probably have the projector on the coffee table 6 feet away from the screen, instead of mounting on ceiling, channelling out cabling runs and putting a power socket high on the wall/on a ceiling joist

--------------------------------- * C = Coffee table
    |XXXXXXX|||||||||||||XXXXXXX| * A = Armchair
    |XXXXXXX-------------XXXXXXX| * ||| = Chimney breast
    |XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|
    |XXXXXXXXCCCCCCCCXXXXXXXX|
    |XXXXXXXXXAAAAAXXXXXXXXXX|
    ---------------------------------

Has anybody set up a projector in a similarly sized room?
    Or should I give up on this idea, and save up to buy an LCD/plasma that can be mounted on the chimney breast?

Thanks in advance for any replies, :thumbsup:

J

2. Zack Attack

Zack Attack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I heard that the Epson tw10h has quite a good short throw, ie it can throw quite a large image from only a short distance from the screen. Being a fairly small room, you might see the pixels as this is not the highest resolution of projectors, and you need to find out whether that's a factor for you. TW10H owners might be able to back me up/correct me on this one.

I was going to suggest the infocus 4805 which is 'B grade' stock at £695 here if £600 is really your budjet, but I'm not so sure if the 4805 has that good a short throw. As you may know, the 4805 is a DLP projector which can bring the problem of rainbows to some people, so you also need to find out whether rainbows affect you or not.

I have a similar sized room, and I'm looking at the BenQ PE7700 (DLP) which is about £1400, which has quite a good short throw, good resolution and good picture.

Edit : Forgot to say about the Sanyo PLV-Z3 and Panasonic AE700, around £900. You seen these?

3. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Man,

I just got a Benq PE5120(about 500 quid) - my room is only about 11x10 and I get a 90" image using it - its fine for me :thumbsup:

Should have plenty of room for a PJ :clap:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Coffee table low down and screen high up above the mantelpiece will probably mandate a large amount of keystone adjustment to make the pic the right shape. This will not be good news for the picture quality....PJ :)
    EDIT: Also, what size screen can you fit there?

5. littlemonkey

littlemonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your answers - goes to show there are some things that could still adversely affect a decision. I was aiming for a screen between 60" and 80" - the centre of the screen could be between 6-7ft from the floor. However, as I intended to place the projector on the coffee table, it will only be around 2ft off the floor. Guess it may be worthwhile putting the projector on a shelf behind me - I say this because I assume keystone correction might not be enough to compensate for the difference in height between the coffee table and the screen. Suggestions/experience of setting up a pj in a similar situation gratefully received; once again, thanks for the previous responses.

6. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ...yeah, so? :eek:

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    I've currently got a TW-10h (although being replaced next week with a Sanyo Z3) in my 2.5 x 3.5 meter gaming room/office. My PJ is on a shelf at one end of the room and a 2.14m x 1.20m screen is located at the other end just over 3m from the Epson's lens. I get a wonderful picture that fills the screen (but will go smaller if I zoom down) and only get a bit of screen door effect. I'm hoping that (due to the Sanyo's higher Resolution) that this will reduce when I get that next week.

EDIT : I sit around 2.5m from the screen (could do with being further away but it's the best that I can do in this room) and find that pretty good.