1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*NEWBIE* IR Controlled Dimmer Switch - Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mouseboy, Feb 24, 2005.

1. mouseboy

mouseboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to this - so please be gentle ;o)
    I'm thinking of buying an IR controlled dimmers witch such as:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57215&item=5958045730

However, it says that "Must not be used with a standard switch in a two way circuit. Use Slave switches for more than one switch in a circuit"

I was hoping to put it in my living room where I have a 'normal' on-off light switch and a dimmer switch. I was thinking of replacing the dimmer switch with the IR switch above.

My question therefore is will this work - i'm not sure I understand the implications of the 'two-way circuit' and 'slave switch'. I'm assuming that as I have one light fitting which can be controlled by either the dimmer or the on-off switch that mine is two way??

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

P.S. I'm in the UK in case the country/voltage makes a difference

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Welcome to the forums.

Lots of people have got these from TLC Direct. There is FAQ/instructions online there too. Might be a fraction cheaper to boot (?).

Mike.

3. mouseboy

mouseboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Mike,
    I've had a look on their website and am still not 100% sure, so i've e-mailed their tech support.

Cheers,

Andrew

4. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A two-way circuit is the type usually found in a landing where it can be turned on or off from two switches, eg; one on the landing and one in the hall - whichever one you operate, if the light is on it will turn it off, and if it's off it will turn it on.
    This type of set up would be unusual in a lounge, and I've never come across a two-way dimmer switch - can you perhaps switch the light on with either your regular switch or the dimmer, but if they're both on then you have to turn them both off before your light will go out (ie, not operate either one to turn the light out)? This is slightly different, and not a two way circuit. In this case you should have no problem using a remote dimmer in place of your existing one.

5. mouseboy

mouseboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply (Dave R). That's really helped clear things up in my mind. I was trying to fathom whether my setup would be classified as a two way switch or not.

However, my dimmer switch only works when the main on/off switch is set in the 'on' position, so I assume that it doesn't qualify as being a two way switch.

Just so I can be clear, the following conditions happen in my lighting setup:

If On/Off Switch = ON and Dimmer = ON, then lights are ON
    If On/Off Switch = ON and Dimmer = OFF, then lights are OFF
    If On/Off Switch = OFF and Dimmer = OFF, then lights are OFF
    If On/Off Switch = OFF and Dimmer = ON, then lights are OFF

Hope that makes sense!
    Thanks once again guys

6. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yip - sound slike a two way system you have there...

Did the old switch you removed not hav ethree wires connected to it?

If so... its 2 way for sure...

Some dimmers are two way - just need to hunt one down..

D

7. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree, it sounds like two normal (one-way) switches wired in series. If it were a two way circuit, then both switches being "off" would have the same result on the lights (ie; off or on) as both switches being "on".
    Try it on your landing light if that's a two way set up - moving both switches back to the other position will leave your lights where you started. That's doesn't tie up with the example qouted, where both switches being off and the lights are off, but both switches being on and the lights are on.
    Checking for three wires (plus your earth of course) isn't a bad idea though.

8. mouseboy

mouseboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Well, .... I received the switch and wired it in today.
    I answer to all your valuable help - it does indeed seem as though I have two one way switches wired in series.
    I had two wires (+earth) and by looking at the way the old dimmer was wired in, I just swapped the cables over.

I now have a dimmer switch which (as before - and as expected) only works when the first switch is in the 'on' position, but (unlike before) works off of a remote :D

Thanks again for all your help....
    Brilliant!

Andrew

P.S. If anyone's interested, I'm using an all-in-one URC8206 remote control and it works great!