1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie interconnect problem...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dannykos, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so i've just got my new yamaha 5540 receiver from richer sounds, bargain price of £180 - asked what interconnects i would need and was supplied with a cambridge audio digital coaxial. (£20 flippin quid!!). So far so good...

i've just connected up my front speakers to give it a quick whirl, but there's no coaxial connector on the back of the amp for the dvd??

there IS one marked as CD - but the DVD input is optical. So how come they told me i needed a coaxial?? i would have bought the optical if they'd said i needed it but they didn't - so now i have to select CD as the input source - to hear the audio from the DVD. (hope all this makes sense)

so i know i'm a bit green behind the ears when it comes to all this stuff - but this doesn't seem right to me. hope some of you guys can shed some light on this one or i'll be on the phone to RS in the morning with a nasty tone in my voice :devil:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    You can use the coax for dvd sound playback or alternatively buy the toslink optical cable if you wish.
    I have both connected to my amp from my dvd player - the coax to the amp for cd stereo playback and the optical for movie multi channel sound.( it saves having to mess about with the settings on the amp if you have these pre configured).
    if you just stick with the coax only you'll have to configure the amp each time you use it to each task you require of it.

3. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Yammy 630.The coaxial input labelled cd can be reconfigured in the menu to Dvd and then you would just press dvd button on remote to get dvd sound, I would guess that you can do the same with this model, worth a try first.Otherwise return the cable to Richer sounds and swap it for toslink cable.

4. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys - figured it out at about midnight....

you're spot on lab, buried in the manual were instructions on how to change the configuration of the ports - so with a few button presses - voila!!

now the amp thinks the CD-in is actually the DVD-in, marvellous!!! would have been nice if someone at RS could have been bothered enough to tell me.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Dream on!:rolleyes: That's what these forums are for!:clap: