1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in need of help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Audio Amateur, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Audio Amateur

Audio Amateur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thread for me!!

My story and question! I first wanted to go for a decent theater setup about 4 years ago but really didn't quite get there

I purchased some B&W 602 S2 and DM601 S2

I also bought a small Eltax sub and a B&W CL series centre, finished it off with a Yamaha AV amp and at the time the best Sony DVD player I could lay my hands on. I purchased it from a shop in Epping Essex called Chew & Osbourne. Now don't get me wrong I have been very happy with my setup, but have become bored with 5.1 DTS.

I am about to sell the lot and start from scratch, I have converted my garage into a fair size room, and I am budgeting about £6500 - £7000, on a new system!

I want to stay with B&W as I love their speakers and in fact I have had nothing but, and have always been very pleased with their performance,

My plan though is to have a good projector and screen a good AV AMP 7.1 channels a set of speakers all wired with good cables,

Now the question? What would you recommend and Why!!

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice Budget. Bit stuck for time, so can't go into specifics, but I guess most forum members would offer the following advice:

Mains filtration £300 (optional, but tres important IMO)
    Cabling £300 (always the last thing on the list)
    Screen £400 (motorised will be more?)
    Projector £3000 (should buy a nice mid-range DLP)
    Processor £750 (Could use your existing AV amp instead)
    Power Amp £1100 (or 3x stereo power amps)
    Extra B&W's £800 (the 601/602's are excellent and don't really need changing, but you might need a better centre and centre rears for 6/7.1)
    Subwoofer £500+ (or more for an SVS WBOD)

Total cost around £7k, depending on what lengths you go to.

3. Audio Amateur

Audio Amateur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for your reply,

The current amp I have won't stretch to 7.1 so that'll have to be replaced, as for the speakers do you think the 602's will do the job up front ?

is their a combination that can be recomended,

4. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Mains filtration £300 (optional, but tres important IMO)"

I got mine for £25 from B&Q :smoke: