1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in need of Dictionary

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jackpot, Jan 2, 2005.

1. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently posted a thread as I didnt know whether to go the PC route or DVDR route. Although I got much useful advice, some of it went over my head.
    Can some point me to a link, site, book.. whatever so i can get to grips with terms such as VR mode, Video mode, VOB, encoding, time base correction, AVI, DV quality, progressive scan
    many thanks : :suicide:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Video Recording mode. An official file format to overcome the limitations of the DVD-Video file format which was designed for commercial, pre-recorded DVDs. Allows timeslip, non-linear editting, playlists and multiple files of different types to be stored on a single DVD. All the Video is stored in a single .VRO 'container' file held within a DVD_RTAV folder.

A file format the same as that found on a DVD-Video purchased in the shops. A .VOB file is one file in this data structure that contains (basically) the video/audio files.

Video recordings need to be encoded (programmed if you like) into MPEG2 format. It is the transfer from Analogue to Digital domain if you like. You may see mention of re-encoding which refers to recordings made to a HDD of a HDD/DVDR combi that need to be transferred to DVD-R. A high speed dub requires no re-encoding, a realtime one does.

A process that stabilises an analogue source prior to encoding into the digital domain. If you want to archive from a 'noisy' source like VHS ensure any DVD recorder you get has one (i.e. don't buy Philips!)

Digital Video file type: uses extension .AVI. As far as DVD recorder is concerned don't get too concerned about this.

Have a read through here for a good basic grounding in the subject of DVD:
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdvideo/dvdvid_intro.htm

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I should probably have also mentioned that VR 'Video Recording' mode is not compatible with most DVD players due to it's different file structure. This is why HDD/DVDRs such as the Panasonic E85 or Toshiba RDXS32 are so popular - because they allow recording onto the HDD in VR mode where you can edit/re-arrange and then dub to DVD-R in compatible Video mode!

4. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Rasczak for such a quick reply.
    Will try and digest

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    If there is something specific you would like advice on then don't hestitate to ask. Someone here will be able to help. If you get a reply that is too technical just say so - there is no shame in not being a geek! - and I'm sure whoever replies will expand.