Newbie in Home Cinema needing advice

S

Skeeter

I am saving up (poor bugga i am as well) for a home cinema setup to go with my 28inch widescreen tv (LG RI28CZ10RX)
And places i can get free delivery off the web if i ordered from the web. Otherwise i have near me RicherSounds, Asda (for tech section there), Currys, Dixons, Comet.

I was also woundering which dvd player to get as im thinking of getting one with the home cinema setup or soon after.

I dont get much money as im not working so must be under 150 but max i would save to would be, £200 for a complete home cinema kit with a dvd player.

Have only saved up £70 so far. so still a few months away but id like to know what im looking to get when i have the cash to spend.

Hmm there was a small home cinema setup from Asda for £50 but thats like a subwoofer at 22w and 5 small (tiny) speakers at about 4w i think. But did look nice. Just woundering would that give me a nice bass compared to normal tv speakers.

Was also a £100 home cinema setup there too but still i dunno as the small speakers look tiny compared to normal home cinema speakers.

As the bass is the most important to me as i like to 'feel' the bombs in action movies and deep notes in music in programs. So what im hoping to get is something that ouputs 5.1 sound from nomral tv (freeview) and dvds movies. Also i like my 2 music channels from freeview so somit to make 5.1 from them and sound good not great just nicer and to feel the beats as it were.

Also would i need a amp cos ive only my tv and video atm and a dvd is on the agenda later either with the home cinema speaker setup or soon after.

Cheers all and if this isnt the forum to ask please PM me where it will be moved to so i can find it again (if moved by a moderator).

Again Cheers.

I doubt that either of those supermarket wonders will meet many of your requirements.

If you're not using the system in a very large room, your budget may well find something approaching the experience that you seek.

I'm not particularly in the habit of keeping up to date with the latest thing (I'd rather spend my spare time watching, listening to and enjoying the hardware/software around me! :smashin: ); but a quick search or browse through the all-in-one forum should garner some information and even recommendation.

You may like to search for bonzobanana's postings, as he regularly furnishes the forum with info and 'special offers' for all-in-one systems. In fact, I think he has recently done just that for a JVC system that falls within the £150-200 range.

If my own experience is anything to go by, I'd suggest that you stay away from temptation and save for something at the top end of your budget (i.e. £150 or above). You're almost certain to gain access to brand-name options, which appear to possess more pleasing aesthetics, build-quality and audio/video performance - oh, and the Pro Logic II :laugh:

Not a direct answer, I know; but I hope it helps a little.

Good luck :)

Just bought the Eltax Nova from Richer Sounds

Can't fault it, sounds are rich and full and the picture quality is as good as my old Toshiba 220 dvd player

Try and get a demo from Richer sounds, at a penny under £150 it offers very good value

Also plays JPEGs and MP3s, as well handling everything I have thrown at it CDR CDRW VHCD etc

I think with your budget,the best thing you can do is get the Eltax Nova Home Theatre system, its grade A with music & movies and has a list of features that go on and on and on.....

It also plays all discs,and I've thrown a good few at it and it also plays the ones that my previous £400 Pioneer would'nt even read.All this for £149.99.

£120 online without supercare thinking of buying the nova myself whats the difference between the nova and spirit.Anyone else own nova/spirit can vouch for it's sound.:smashin:

The Nova has Dolby Prologic II and should have had an optical out (found out after purchasing it did not have one) even though on their website and at Richer Sounds it said there was one

Slightly wider centre speaker, but apart from that I think the rest of the spec is the same (and a good one at that)

If you visit eltax.com and check both their tech specs you can compare them yourself

thanks for the reply MundoKev i think i am gonna buy the Nova:)

Cheers for the replys and MundoKev is it important for a optical output? I mean what is the use and benefit of one as i said im new and dont know some things like some of the connectors.

Thanks again ppl..

Also as my tv is a LG i was woundering are there any LG home cinema setups going for around £150?

There is not much between coaxial and optical output, unless you want a longer connection (over 10') then optical would provide a better option without any signal loss

I would have liked the optical out option so I could use it on my Sony minidisk player which has an optical input, which at the moment is connected to my Sony Hi-Fi, but I suppose I can live without it on the Nova

Follow the link for more info

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/000705_optical_coaxial.php

Well my living room where the nova would go is large and isnt squared its a very long room i think the carpet was 18" x 12" or somit so that would be the size of the room. Oh and do u get the long cables for to put the speakers in place or do u need to buy them seperately and if u get them would they be long enough for my room if not and recommended cables (ok ones not expensive ones) and possibly what length to get.

Here is a quick sketch of my room with the basics in.
room.JPG

Cheers again..

The 10' referred to is the output connection between the DVD and an external device you want to connect to (Video Recorder, Cd Player etc) and it does not refer to the connections required to wire up the enclosed speakers

You get a good length of speaker cable with the unit, although not sure if it would reach to 2 rear speakers if they were 18' from the player (you could always get a little more if required anyway)

Some enthusiast suggest replacing the cable anyway to something more substantial, but I think the cable provided is good enough

Cheers.

Only thing left is as the speakers are suposably have a large Watt output do they get very distored at high volume or is it clear enough not to notice any difference. (live in flat so i doubt i could turn up to max volume lol but if i had own proper house i may be tempted to :) )

And aside from the connectors and home cinema abilities of the nova whats the dvd player like as i dont see on the pics it has a display on it so i guess it would all be on screen but is there any thing useful on the front? Also what is the quality of play like compared to similar dvd players?

The satellite speakers are 50w and the sub is 80w

If you compare that to some of the cheaper systems, it compares very well in the power stakes

Although the measure of a good system is not how loud it can play at, but the quaility of the sound

I have had it up to half volume, believe me it was enough, with no distortion

The DVD player does have a display, which is a nice fluorescent blue as well as the volume control being illuminated (as in the Nova Spirit picture)

Not much else on the front of the unit, just the basic controls, which adds to the sleekness of it

Have a look in your local Richer Sounds store for more info (have not found another supplier of this model yet)

By the way, your room layout is the same as my living room, the difference being that my set up is in a box shaped bedroom, which fills with surround sound nicely

And richersounds have it now priced at £119 wihtout the supercare :)

Btw i just learned that some speakers u put sand in or something, why would u put sand in a speaker lol and do u do this with any of the speakers on the nova?

Sounds abit crazy to me lol.

Also which is the more better system the nova or spirit?

And is the nova display like the spirit as i cant see where on the nova the display is (reflective finish lol). If u have a digi cam dont supose u can post a pic of it lit up please?

The speakers are heavy enough without having to put sand in, and I am not that much of a connoiseur anyway. Either way there are no holes on the Nova

Not tried the Spirit, so I do not know if it is better

The display is a mirror finish and sits at the side of the power button on the left, and is quite small but effective

Thanks for the price drop info, just phoned Richer Sounds and they will refund me the £30 extra I paid last week...Result....

A friend told me that 50w speakers are huge and that it was really a 8w RMS for each of the small speakers but said it was still good for a normal system.

That mate has told me a better system the LG LH-D6230D is about 150 and is alot better. Shame i was growing fond of the nova but as its LG and in my price range it will fit with my tv more as same brand and is better with true RMS output which the nova aint.

Hmm anyone had any experience of it do u know?

Yer pays yer money and takes yer chances

Nova does it for me, but at the end of the day it's your money

Yeahh my neighbor did exactly the same as you and bought the LG and it blew up on him,when he got a replacement that would'nt play all discs and the 3rd time it would eject discs midway thru playing them,both dvd & audio cd's!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

ok i might stretch to £200 and took a quick look over

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/home-cinema-systems/scht500/index.htm

is this got dolby prologic 2 and i was confused as to the speakers wattage in rms so would like some clarification if possible.

also can this be made to multiregion or not and does it play all the stuff like the nova?

or if u know of the best £200 system please tell me as i want to get the right all in one system as i wont be ever getting another so this is the first and final one i plan to buy and use.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom