1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[newbie] I just miss a tuner for NEC HT1000 DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NumLOCK, Feb 26, 2003.

1. NumLOCK

NumLOCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've received my HT1000 projector yesterday, and it's working great ! :clap: I'm using a custom-made silent pc with dvi-out for dvd playback.

Now here's my concern: I'd like to watch regular, analog cable TV programs on this projector, from time to time.

The quality of interlaced programs being what it is, I'd like to benefit from the HC1000's DCDi deinterlacing and processing.

First question:
    I guess that putting a pure PCTV card (Hauppauge, Miro etc) in my HTPC must be ruled out... because after capture by the PCI TV card and transfering through DVI, it is too late for the signal to be de-interlaced by the HT1000. Am I right here ?

Second question:
    Can the HT1000 deinterlace video from SCART, connected into its DB15 RGB input ? The documentation says that RGB input material cannot be deinterlaced, why ?

Third question:
    If none of the two above methods can produce nice deinterlaced pictures, then what about an USB (or independant) external TV tuner, with S-Video (or better: component) video output ? Trouble is, I can't seem to find such boxes on the net... :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help !

Numlock

[edit]
    I just saw this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67067&highlight=ht1000 ... but it doesn't mention deinterlacing :confused:

[/edit]

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I'll check this for you later, but all I remember is that the rgb image was sharper than the s-video (naturaly) but suffered from macrovision interference - despite the Samsung 709 player being macro disabled. This must only work for s-video or composite outputs.

The rgb image didn't have stair-stepping which is what I would expect from deinterlacing, so the image was being processed in some way by the DCDI.

If you're using htpc, then the pc is doing most of the work, and very little is being done by the DCDI. I think the htpc and scart rgb disable most of the pjs processing, so you can get a good idea of what's available from that.

HTH

Gary.

3. NumLOCK

NumLOCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.

I'll have no macrovision problem because it's from cable tv..

With a htpc, most of the work is usually done way before the signal enters the projector's input, I know, but that's not the case with a PC-TV card (where the signal is not properly de-interlaced).

My thought was, after conversion of the PAL signal to RGB 1024x768 on the PC, it's too late for deinterlacing by the projector :(