Newbie: HTPC hd sound query

bobser14

Standard Member
Please forgive my newbie questions. I built an HTPC in May this year. It is what i thought was a standard solution in terms of spec. It has ga-ma78gm-s2h m/b +amd 5050e cpu +lg bluray combo. I also bought a yamaha rx-v765 amp.
Am I correct in thinking that i cannot get the amp to output Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master audio?

Daveybryce

Firstly welcome to Forums, many people here to help you out with some great advice.

I have pretty much exactly the same set up as you (see my signature). The only sound the motherboard can output is 2 Channel LPCM, DTS & Dolby 5.1 passthru via SPDIF/HDMI. If you wait a little while then ATI will be releasing some new GFX cards from the 57xx series which have built in HD audio bitstreaming capabilities and are PAP enabled. If your amp can bitstream the HD audio formats then you can, once cyberlink, Arcsoft and WinDVD build this into the software.

Hope this helps

bobser14

Standard Member
Hi
Thanks for your speedy reply. I assume this is what people are getting excited about on some threads here, but cards for around £200 means i will hang on for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom