1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie home-cinema to TV connection question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by shabab1978, Jan 3, 2005.

1. shabab1978

shabab1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been out of the AV scene for a couple of years, but now thinking of delving back in. However, I have a couple of questions regarding AV connections - I want to buy the Denon 550 all-in-one system, but the problem is that I have a 5-year old rear proj tv (which I'm not yet ready to upgrade !) and I'm not sure how I would connect the whole thing up.

1. I had a quick look, and my TV seems to have a couple of SCART (1 is RGB) and an S-Video connection. Can I take video straight from the DVD player to the tv or do I route everything to the receiver and then route video to the tv either via SCART or S-video?

2. Having read some of the other threads, it seems that the denon comes with "special" speakers that makes finding speaker stands (apart from the denon ones) difficult. Am I right in thinking there are no rear-mounts on the speakers and that getting standard bookshelf stands would look silly? I was thinking about some Alphasons (AS100-s or RD10-s).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You can connect directly from the dvd player to the tv using the rgb scart.

The Denon speakers do just attach to stands on the bottom. I bought AVF Home Cinema wall mounts for the rear speakers (£25 Comet, but someone said B&Q, Maplins sell them cheaper, didn't see any here locally though) - these wall mounts make the speakers look really good. For the front two I bought the official Denon ones from AVLand for £50, they look the business. The stands are made by Alphanson for Denon with a code of SS30. The day after I received them I was in Comet and saw the same stands for £40, but someone here said though they have the same code they lack the attachments to connect to the Denon. It may be worth you having a look at these. My speaker stand box was exactly the same barring it had a sticker saying Denon which I presume now means it has added attachments for the Denon.

3. shabab1978

shabab1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks !

Time to go buy one I think....... :thumbsup: