Newbie here: A few questions about various recording formats such as Divx, mpeg2 etc?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by ensyed, Dec 31, 2006.

1. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just dived into the whole digital video recording thing. I bought an Archos 604 wifi and a Video Ipod. here are my questions

1) Which is the worst/ best format in terms of quality: mpeg4, mpeg4, divx, avi, wma? what are any other pros cons. Why is Divx so popular? I have never used it.

2) If I want to backup DVDs I own on an external pc Hard drive to be later burned to DVD (for big screen playback) or transferred to the Archos or Video ipod which format should I save it to?
    p.s as an experiment I copied a DVD using Mactheripper (mac) and it created a folder with .vob and other files on it. I am clueless as to what I am supposed to do with it. Can someone help. Is there a next step?

I also copied the same DVD using Handbrake (mac) which created an mp4 file which played back on the Ipod and the Archos but the quality wasnt so good on the Archos

3) Which pc or mac harddrive do you recommend for archiving purposes.

Can someone recommend software which will do various formats with ease. i am willing to pay for it if it is a one step solution.

Thanks