1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Cougs, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Cougs

Cougs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading up on this HTPC (HCPC) thing for the past two weeks and there are a few things i cannot seem to understand.

The main one is how come the quailty of the output to the projector or plasma tv is so good, when the conncector is either Svideo or component? wouldnt an RGB output be better?

What I am trying to do is justify why I would want to get a HTPC over a $1000 (Australian Dollars) DVD player with progressive scan? I fail to see how a Svideo connection from a Radeon AiW card can be better than say a RGB output from an expensive DVD player?

The other thing is, wouldnt a modified Xbox with a larger hard drive and a lan connection be cheaper than a HTPC? I guess the software is not upgradeable (to play newer divx's)

Thanks!

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi and welcome to the forum:hiya:

You use the VGA or if you have a graphics card and projector with DVI use that. By matching the resolution of your PC to that of the projector (e.g. for an SVGA projector u would set your pc to resolution to 800X600) the projector's scaler is bypassed as it is not needed so u get a sharper more detailed and cleaner picture. The difference between a good progresive scan DVD and a PC will depend upon how good a scaler your projector has. The poorer the scaler the more pronounced improvement in using a HCPC.

Hope this helps

Conor

3. Cougs

Cougs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah okays thanks for that information! Now I see why people would use a tv tuner card on their computer for their HTPC

would the bundled DVD player that comes with the Radeon card be sufficient to play DVD's or would i have to purchase another one?

Another thing is, I live in Australia, would I be able to purchase a HDTV card for my computer?