1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Adam_uk, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hello

I know very little about surround sound and the like so I need help with some stupid question.

I've just bought a 32" LCD and would like to do it justice with surround sound for my DVD's.

I have about £500 to spend on an AMP. My DVD player has SCARTS, Co-axal and component intputs.

What I want is a AMP to give me decent sound for my movies, it will hardly ever be used for music.

Also does the amp just need to recieve the audio feed from the DVD player or does it need a feed for the visual to?

Cheers

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the amp requires only sound from your sources, the video parts are just switches and are not necessary, unless you run out of inputs on your TV.

£500 is an awful lot for an amp in my opinion, however you want to think about future proofing. Is your LCD HD ready and does it use HDMI? If so I assume it has one HDMI input?

If so it may be worth waiting for the new Dolby and DTS formats that will come with Hi Def, otherwise you will feel the urge to buy a new amp then. My opinion would be buy a cheap second hand unit for now, then let HD settle in. That could be a while yet though! If you want one now, look at:

denon 2106
    denon 2805
    yamaha 757
    yamaha 1500 from Germany
    Pioneer 1015
    Marantz 5500 (i think)

all these are £370 to £520 i think

3. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    chedmaster--any reason you didnt recommend the CA azur 540r ??......just i`m thinking of getting it and was expecting it in your list!

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    simply because it was half the budget! did you check your WTD thread? i popped a post in there!

Also adam, the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R is a fantastic amp for half you budget! :D

5. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    cheers for that

It seems I'd be best off by waiting for the new HD Dolby and DTS formats then as my LCD is HD.

Thought I guess that depends on studios actually encoding DVD's/ videogames with these.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    oh they will, but you'll also have to decide between blu-ray and HD-dvd when they surface so unless your going to be one of these early adopters (think vhs/betamax) it might be worthwhile buying an amp you'll be happy with now to distract you till HD settles down!

7. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    From what I've read its pretty clear cut that Blue Ray is the better format and has the backing of the major players, is that not the case.

In that case I think I may do as you suggest and get something now.

So 6.1 Dolby/ DTS ES seems to be the way to go.

Though if I can get something good for less than £500 I think I will, the rest can go on speakers

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its not really the case i dont think im not a hi def "early adopter" myself, being a student!

it may be the higher storage format, but hd-dvd's will be around the same price as current dvds afaik, blu rays will be more ($5 - $10 more i think - havent checked in ages tho not really following)

all i know is that with HD will come DTS HD and Dolby Digital +

They will probably have a standard dd5.1 as well but im not sure on that.

have a look at the above amps, i would reccommend the denon 2106, a happy medium for say 2 to 3 years depending how it all plays out. or if you want even cheaper, the CA 540r mentioned earlier sounds a lot more expensive than its £250 price tag suggests, at the expense of many digital processing modes etc and therefore can be slightly harder to set up properly, but boy does it sound good!

also check the High def forums to top up your knowledge on HD formats