Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by wardster, Jul 12, 2005.

1. wardster

wardster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a couple of questions for a newbie!

I have a Samsung LE26R41BD, and at the moment using old standard scart leads.

1. If i buy a new scart lead will it say that it is rgb (i have looked on boxes in comet etc of Monster and they dont say)

2. I have been advised to connect sky+ to the lcd by svideo as the rgb is supposedly not up to much. - Will i require a Svideo to svideo lead or scart to svideo lead?

3. If i get a rgb scart and then determine that it is better using svideo, can the rgb scart be used for daisy chaining other boxes

Thanks very much - any help would be fantastic- i just dont want to buy expensive leads for them to go to waste. :lease:

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    look for the words "fully wired" on the scart box, that will make sure you can do RGB.

Not sure why you've been advised against RGB for the sky+ box, was it to do with the inputs on that specific LCD?

An RGB scart is just one which is fully wired (usually), if it is then it can be used for anything you like. the only exception I'm aware of is some of the QED ones which are video only - they haven't got any connectors for audio in order to reduce any possible interference, these tend to be clearly labelled though.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,087
    wardster

All fully wired SCART cables will carry an RGB signal - even your 'standard' cable is RGB capable.

'RGB Only' cables will only carry the RGB Video signal (no audio) - these cables use thicker inner conductors for the RGB video signal so potentially provide a better interconnect between your devices.

You can use an RGB Only SCART cable in a daisy chain - as long as both devices are RGB enabled and you make a second interconnection for the Audio signal.

RGB will usually outperform S-Video - as owain asks is there a problem with the RGB Input on the TV? If not I'd try a decent S-Video vs. a decent SCART cable and see if S-Video really is better than RGB on your TV.

Best regards

Joe