1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joseywales, Jan 13, 2005.

1. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi guys , just moved house and now have room for a dedicated home cinema room , the room is about 11 foot square with 7foot 6 inch ceiling , I have about £4000 to spend on a projector and screen . Im only going to be running my dvd player through it (denon a11) any suggestion on what projector to use would be appreciated .

2. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :confused: :confused: Anyone got some advice for me ?

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, you don't help narrow the field by providing any guidelines beyond price. :)

For instance, the basic DLP vs. LCD question,are you aware of the potential problems with each, in particular the 'rainbow' effect with DLPs? This is a critical decision, until you decide which technology you want (or are forced to use if you suffer badly from rainbows) then any other pondering is futile.

For £4K you could for example have the system I have, an Optoma H77 with fixed Draper Onyx screen, but the throw distance may limit your screen size .. this is a key factor in your decision given a maximum 10' throw (taking 11' and allowing 12" cable clearance, screen protrusion etc.)

To be honest, if you look at the typical price list from a retailer you'll see that in fact there aren't many machines between £2500 and £4000, from looking at a couple of sites there's the H77 and the NEC HT1100 (the latter is a bit long in the tooth now and is only 4:3 which isn't ideal for many). In the lower end of the range there are a few 1280x720 DLPs and LCDs worth looking at.

After this waffle are you any the wiser? :)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Healthy budget, should be able to get something impressive for that amount. I think you'll get more advice if you do a bit of research yourself and see what sorts of models/makes take your fancy. With that sort of budget the options are numerous...

A dig around a site such as www.projectorpoint.co.uk would be a good start.

Good luck!...PJ