1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help! :-)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Tonmeistermat, May 23, 2004.

1. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We are thinking of getting a plasma screen to go in our studio so that my partner can view his computer screen in a huge way and so that we can watch movies (off DVD) when he's not working.... The whole idea of a plasma screen is new to me, and whilst I know the deal with the sound side of things, I'm totally clueless when it comes to picture! Is there a resorce somewhere that explains all the wierd and wonderful things you have to consider when buying a plasma, such as:

what is the deal with 1:1 pixel maping?

what is a scaler?

what do the numbers for contrast ratio mean (ie is 1000:1 good, bad or average)?

Do they still suffer from burn-in (if we are to use it as a computer monitor it would render it useless after a while I guess!)?

What's the deal with progressive scan?

It's a huge list and there seems to be huge variation between different products in different areas, and I'm a bit blown away by it all!!!

Many thanks in advance for any advice/referals...

Mat

:thumbsup:

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Questions, questions, questions...where to start ;)

Well 1:1 pixel mapping means feeding the plasma it's native, or actual, screen resolution. So if the plasma's screen resolution is 1366x768 then the source, either a suitable DVD player, scaler or HTPC, should be set to out 1366x768. The big deal with the is that you by-pass the scaler inside the plasma which maynot be as good as the external version.

The numbers for contrast do not really mean that much as it all depends how they are measured. But generally speaking the higher the better.

Yep...burn in is still an issue with plasma's so maybe a large LCD might be better suited as these are not prone to screen burn.

Progressive scan is trickier to explain so I will leave that for someone more knowledagable. Suffice to say that in most circumstances it produces a better image than a non-progressive source.

Cheers, Lee

3. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Lee!

It's getting clearer now...

Mat