1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Harryc8786, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Harryc8786

Harryc8786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i have a sony str - de595 audio reciver. I know all the speakers are hooked up. The problem im having is, im trying to get dolby DTS for the DVD player. The dvd player supports it. I bought a fiber optic cable and hooked it into video 2 along with the audio and video inputs for video 2. The directions say to switch the input to optic or OPT. Well when i switch it from auto to that then i dont get any sound. All i can get right now is Pro Logic II and im shootin for DTS. Any ideas or help. I hooked one up before in my room with fiber optic cabels and it worked. Do i need to run the dvd in coaxial? I have never used one of those thats why i went with the fiber optic cable. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if i posted it in the wrong category but cables seems to be my problem i think. Thanks guys

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Harry,
    This sounds like either the DVD player is not set up to output DD/DTS via the digital connection, or the amp is not configured to receive the digital signal.
    What you need to do is go into the set up menus for the amp and set the digital output to ON (some amps have settings for co-ax and opt independantly). Make sure the settings output to correct type of connector (in your case OPT), and leave it on AUTO.
    Then go into the set up menus on the DVD player, making sure that the OPT output is switched on (some DVD players will default to analog stereo from the factory), consult your manuals if your not sure. Finally check the optical lead is fully and firmly connected to both the DVD and amp and is not kinked or bent sharply.
    Let us know how you get on.

TTFN

PS on the DVD settings make sure the settings output both DD and DTS, as some players allow you to decide exactly what format you want to use and yours may be set to DD only.