newbie help

ade666

Standard Member
hi all. just bought a shiney new tv, a panny G10 and got sky hd installed. i was going to buy an all in one but after reading lots of posts on here i think i'll give it a miss and buy seperates. i was wondering if i can use my old surround speakers with an up to date av. they come from a an old sony 5.1 surround sound DAV S550

i'm looking at buying one of these
1) yamaha 765
2) onkyo 607
3) at a push the denon 1910

i know i should get good speakers but will make do for a month or two.

i also will be using it for my xbox elite and a Wii and have a toshiba dvd recorder that upscales. i very rarely listen to music

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
hi all. just bought a shiney new tv, a panny G10 and got sky hd installed. i was going to buy an all in one but after reading lots of posts on here i think i'll give it a miss and buy seperates. i was wondering if i can use my old surround speakers with an up to date av. they come from a an old sony 5.1 surround sound DAV S550

i'm looking at buying one of these
1) yamaha 765
2) onkyo 607
3) at a push the denon 1910

i know i should get good speakers but will make do for a month or two.

i also will be using it for my xbox elite and a Wii and have a toshiba dvd recorder that upscales. i very rarely listen to music

You need to find out what the impeadance of the speakers are. Often they are 4 ohms or less and that can be a problem with some amps.

Also, is the sub a powered one or does it just plug into the Sony unit with speaker wire? With an AV amp, the sub has to be active.

ade666

Standard Member
thanks for the quick reply. the speakers are 4 ohms. looking at the specs for the amps the yamaha and the onkyo can handle that but the denon won't, but thats only if i'm reading the specs right. as for the sub, yes it runs from speaker wire so that would be useless i guess until i can afford a powered one.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
thanks for the quick reply. the speakers are 4 ohms. looking at the specs for the amps the yamaha and the onkyo can handle that but the denon won't, but thats only if i'm reading the specs right. as for the sub, yes it runs from speaker wire so that would be useless i guess until i can afford a powered one.

Hi mate,

Personally I would hesitate to attach even the 4 ohm speakers. You can do it but just be careful and dont turn the volume up too high. You're right about the sub, you would need an active one and without a sub your speakers wouldnt sound good. The speakers on that sony are sat speakers and would require a sub as they cant handle LFE. I would look at buying either a couple of floorstanders or a cheap 5.1 package from the classified section. Buying one of those amps and using the sony speakers would in no way be doing your amp any justice imo.

Cheers

Saf

Passingbat

Distinguished Member

I don't think the Yamaha can handle 4 ohm speakers, at least not all the way round.

THe Onkyo 507 can, so I would think that the 607 can, but you should check the Onkyo web site and download the manual.

You're going to have to get a sub so as Saf says, look at a £200 5.1 package or just get two good stereo speakers and bulid from there.

ade666

Standard Member
thanks again. so now i'm a little more confused speaker wise. if i bought say the yamaha would it run say the Q acoustics 1020i speakers. i'm looking on the richer sounds site. i think i could sort out cash for a pair of them then another pair next month. or spend the same amount on a complete 5.1 package for now

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
thanks again. so now i'm a little more confused speaker wise. if i bought say the yamaha would it run say the Q acoustics 1020i speakers. i'm looking on the richer sounds site. i think i could sort out cash for a pair of them then another pair next month. or spend the same amount on a complete 5.1 package for now

The yamaha will power the QA's just fine. If you dont have a sub then I wouldnt get the 1020is at the mo. Even though they have a bigger speaker cabinet and are bookshelf speakers you would ideally want a sub with those to get the best. Could you strecthc to something like the 1030i's?

Q Acoustics 1030i Black | Per Pair | Richer Sounds

These would work fine without a sub and you can buy the rest as and when you can.

What is your budget for speakers at the mo?

If you really are on a tight budget and want 5.1 then i suppose as a last resport you could consider these:

Yamaha NSP270 Silver | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

They would be better than using your sony speakers for sure!! I would personally get a couple of floorstanders and then build up over time. Anything less than £200 on a 5.1 speaker package i wouldnt even consider but then not everyone has the finances available.

Up to you mate but like i said, i would put in a bit more and start from a pair of floorstanders.

Cheers

Saf

ade666

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice saf and i think your right. go for the 1030i's first then get other bits later. i'm usually the rush right in kind of guy but i think in this case taking my time would be much better.

thanks everyone your advice has been much appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom