1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help with Home Cinema features

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jonesy889, Nov 17, 2004.

1. jonesy889

jonesy889

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I'm fairly new to home cinema, and I've got a couple of questions you might be able to help me out with (I hope).

I'm considering the Panasonic SCHT520 all-in-one package, which I believe has one set of phono inputs. If I connect my TV into these inputs, will the live TV sound come out of all 5.1 speakers? (i.e. I don't just want all 5.1 speakers to work when I'm playing a DVD - I want them on all the time!)

Secondly, I'm considering getting Sky shortly. Do Sky Movies transmit in Dolby Digital 5.1, or is it just on Sky+? If they do transmit in DD5.1, do Digiboxes have a digital optical/coax out for connection to a home cinema?

Many thanks

Andrew

2. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe that it depends on your digibox. All the sky+ boxes have the optical out, the majority of normal boxes don't. I remember reading that the sony digibox has an optical out but I think it's out of production now. Ask your local satellite dealer..

3. jonesy889

jonesy889

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I read about the Sony Digiboxes somewhere too.

Can anyone comment on the first question?

Cheers

Andrew

4. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, if you have your equipment connected by scart to your tv, you would then have a phono (RCA) lead connecting your tv to your amp. All your equipment has to be stereo to be processed into a surround sound. By connecting in this way you will get a surround sound from your speakers.

Sky+ offers some movies in 5.1 sound via an optical input to the amp. Sony did have a digibox with an optical output but it was never enabled and is no longer made.