1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help with component for PS2 and DVD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BumJab, Jan 20, 2005.

1. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my first plasma (BusLink VPM424W-6) (spec can be seen here: link)
    and am having problems getting things to work on the component inputs.

Now, I've got the Toshiba 340-E DVD player and a PS2.

I've tried to connect both of them up on component and I get nothing on the display. It spends time searching for a signal then gives up. It must be getting some kind of signal though as the plasma keeps waking up and trying to search for the signal again. It doesn't do this if I unplug the wires.

Now I've seen all sorts of things about on the net in my searching about from differences between YUV, YPrPb and YCrCb to different prog scan modes.

I've got both the PS2 and DVD player set to output on component in their menus.

Now I am using crappy cables from game (waiting for decent ones to arrive). I don't know if this might be an issue...

Anyone got any ideas or can give me any pointers?

2. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now managed to get component progressive output from my ps2 but only by using the s-video connection first, going into a game that has progressive scan support (Prince of Persia) then choosing progressive scan as I switch my plasma over to component input.

Does this mean that my plasma is picking up 480p from the ps2 but can't pick up 480i on component?

The specs for my plasma say it supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 480i.

I cannot find any info if some of those modes (ie. 480i) are on some of the connections other than the component one. Does anyone know if this is likely? Or should a component input that can display 480p be able to cope with 480i as well?

Still don't understand why the tosh doesn't work though. I've tried setting output to PAL and NTSC (both on YUV in the DVD menu) to no avail. I've tried pressing the 'progressive scan' button on the remote too...

Anyone got any ideas?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Looks like it doesn't support interlaced, nor PAL video, the tosh may not output PAL as NTSC, and in any case would be ghastly if it did. Go for RGB, it will save you grief.

4. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm....I would've thought though that if the component input doesn't support interlaced PAL then setting the DVD player up to output NTSC and using a NTSC R1 disc would work on the component input?

5. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A friend of mine has a Buslink VPM424W-13 42" Plasma. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to solve the problem that you are experiencing. The problem appears to be that the Buslink will not accept a PAL I signal. There are a couple of solutions available to you.

1) use a tv standards transcoder (about £50 for composite or around £300 for svideo). This will not help with component inputs however.

2) Get a DVD player that does output an NTSC signal. Many of our UK spec DVD players can generate ntsc over Pal but do not actually generate an NTSC signal. My Panasonic E65 is this category and I suspect your Toshiba will be the same.

The solution we went for was to buy a Tangent DVR500 DVD Recorder from Richer Sounds. We route his Digibox through the Tangent and get a usable picture. We send the digital optical out to AV amp for sound.

Even if you do manage to get a picture to sync by using a Panasonic dvd you will find that the image will suffer from severe colour distortions which break up the image very badly looking a bit like over compressed Mpeg.

Be aware that the inputs on the Buslink can be confusing and that you may be selecting component via the VGA port instead of the 3 phono style inputs

good luck !

P.S. where did you get the Plasma from as I can find very little information

6. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of experimenting I'm a lot further on with this now :)

Component in on the plasma only works with progressive scan signals as suggested above. However, it's not as clear cut as that. It initially seemed like some discs worked and others didn't.

Using the Tosh DVD player component out (Y/green) and plugging it into a composite input, I can verify that progressive scan is working OK as I can the see the expected two black and white images (interlaced gives a single black and white image).

Now, when I do this with a disc that doesn't work on prog scan component, instead of the two stable black and white images I got no signal whatsoever that the plasma could detect.

I took my DVD player to a friend with a Hitachi plasma and did the same on his plasma. Component prog scan worked fine with my DVD player on his plasma. Connecting Y/green to composite showed a stable double black and white image on his plasma for the discs that work fine for me, but a completely unstable double black and white image on his plasma for the discs that do not work for me on my plasma.

So his plasma was picking up the signal that mine doesn't.

Using his DVD player (a random Cambridge Audio one) doing the same always produced a stable double black and white image regardless of disc.

So I went and changed the Tosh for a Cambridge Audio player which I then tested on his plasma and was verified as giving two stable black and white images.

Got the player home and it still doesn't work on my plasma :(

I then changed the Cambridge Audio for the Pioneer 575 with the same result.

However, reading the manual of the Pioneer has given me the answer I believe.

Macrovision.

The Pioneer manual says the DVD player might not work properly in progressive scan with some HDTV's that don't support Macrovision.

A bit of experimenting later and I can verify that pretty much all discs from Warner Bros, Dreamworks, New Line, Anchor Bay, MGM work fine and discs from Fox, Universal, Paramount don't. There are a few exceptions to this general rule though.

So it looks like I need to be able to disable Macrovision to have component progressive on my plasma.

All the macrovision avoidance devices I've seen don't deal with component inputs/outputs.

Anyone have any suggestions? Can the Pioneer be made to disable macrovision? I know when most DVD player used to need chipping to be made multi-region this also quite often removed macrovision.

Failing that, anyone know of any decent DVD players with progressive component PAL/NTSC that don't have macrovision?

PS. I got the plasma through a friend of a friend type deal. From some company that went backrupt or something...so I don't even have a manual for it.