1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help - Speakers/System

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by IainC, Dec 26, 2002.

1. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking at setting up a home cinema & music type setup for our living room. Not had a chance to audition anything yet so am making all of my assumptions based on reviews/forums, etc. I do plan on auditioning some of the stuff once I've had a chance to get work out of the road ;)

To start with I'd pretty much decided on the Denon AVR3802 which I still plan to use as the basis of the system as it does multi-room, etc.

Problem is in the speaker selection. To start with I'd decided on the Kef Eggs as they would be well out of the way of my daughter (18 months), I know someone who has them (although he's at the other end of the country so I've not heard them in action) but seeing some other reviews/posts in these forums I wasn't as sure.

Then thought about the Gallos but at the end of the day I can't see myself being able to justify that amount on speakers (to start with anyway, maybe later ;) )

Anyway, now I've been thinking that rather than going for a sub/sat type package I could go for the Mission Cinema M74 package which has two floor standers (not too big) and bi-pole rears which wouldn't take up too much space. I'd also thought of buying two extra rears to give a 7 speaker setup (although I'd be missing the .1 ;) )

Anyone got/auditioned these speakers and know if this would be an okay setup?

Would I *need* a sub to get the best out of it or would the M74's do the job, living room is approx 12' x 18'.

Any other recommendations for speakers to partner the Denon?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Good amp and speaker choice ( both of them). Kef's best for unobtrusive speakers away from kids, but the Kef sub is a litle weak. Get the eggs on their own (5 or 7:devil: ), and partner with a good little Rel, MJ Acoustics or Velodyne sub. The Missions are better for music and have lots of bass for floorstanders for films, but can't quite compete with a sub which will exclusively convey the .1 channel where all the really low bass resides :) Go demo and then check your living room to se which suits best. Good luck.

3. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been offline since I posted the original question (too much drink ;) ), cheers for the reply.

Thing is that I do tend to listen to a lot of music and watch a bit of the music channels so it's maybe of slightly more importance to get that bit right, I plan to use the one system to do everything ;)

Had wondered if the floorstanders could compete with a sub or not, maybe have to look at getting one alongwith them :devil: by getting the speakers first and then letting the wife know ;)

Had thought about the eggs for a while but on talking with a few people it appears that the floorstanders are a better "stereo pair" than running it all thru' the eggs. We do have the space (just) for floorstanders too so I figured that one set of speakers down low and the rest up out of the road wouldn't be too bad.

Like you say though, I need to go and demo the stuff, luckily there is a place not far from my work so I should be able to get a listen to a fair choice of kit before buying.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't often disagree with Nobber but this time I am afraid that I do. The eggs are not the most musical of speakers and if you wish to do justice to CDs I would suggest that the Missions are a better bet.

It doesn't matter how good the main speakers are (within reason) all films will benefit from the addition of a subwoofer as there is a large amount of sub bass on many soundtracks that even a good floorstander cannot reproduce.

I would most certainly buy a decent subwoofer before entertaining ideas about centre rears.

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I've just finished a week of demos for similar kit...

Heres some points worth considering..
    1. If you listen to music, then you owe it to youreself to get fullrange rears speakers, since the Denon amp has not only DTS:NEO6 and PrologicII, but has something I really liked, 5 or 7 Channel Stereo... it can make some music sound 100% more involving... but you do really need a good set of rear speakers, preferably full range, so I'd go with the Mission M70's or something as rears... and all these multi channel music formats dictate a decent set of rears.
    2. The AVR3802 is shortly to be replaced by the 3803 so there are plenty of good deals going on, and if like me you buy the amp and speakers together, then you can be cheeky and haggle for more.. I paid £500 for the amp... since they wouldn't discount the speakers.

As for bass, I think that 18' may take some filling, but from the Demo's the M74's could really generate some decent bass, so you will no doubt be able to live quite easily with the fronts, until the money comes along for a sub, if you need one.

I blew my budget and got the B+W's (603 Fronts/600Rears and LCR60 Centre) and although twice the price of the Missions, the discount on the Amp helped, and the 603's are just worth the money, the bass is phenominal in my 12'*15' room, although I will be getting a sub, only because I want the <45Hz LFE as well, then I will have it all!!!! But the mission M74's aren't too far behind... and if you get the M7C2 centre, and M70/71 rears it would be a good VFM package...

I too wanted the mission bipole rears for their size, but after a demo (They were pretty good), I much prefered a normal sized speaker for its music and movie performance, and the new B+W 600s are very small for a rear full size speaker, so do actually fit in the room.. something no other full size rear would.

If it was my money, I'd be demoing the B+W's (Those and the AVR3820 can be had for around £1400-1500 with some haggling)(Although eventually a sub would be required to perfect the setup)
    or how about
    1. Missions M70 pack (4 M72's, a centre and a sub) for a good price, and its an award winner
    2. The M74's/M72 Rears/M7C2 centre, and a cheap sub later on
    3. The Kef''s as well, since they do sound OK in isolation, and you will then know if you prefer the floor standers for real.

happy hunting...