Newbie help required with HDMI

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fully, Oct 2, 2004.

1. fully

fully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I have just bought a PDP434HDE to add to my Pioneer DV-868AVi and VSX-AX5i, I am planning to hook up my DVD player to screen with a good quality cable but nothing too expensive. It only needs to be 1m does anyone know anything about the wireworld chroma 5 hdmi lead? Also should I iLink my screen to the other components,what are the benefits of this? :lease:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Hello fully

WireWorld make great claims for there HDMI cables and some folk swear buy them - others will swear at you for suggesting a 'digital' cable can make a difference.

We've supplied lots of Molex 2m HDMI cables at around £20 with the same set up you have and no complaints so far - we also do more 'expensive' and technically superior HDMI cables though I'm yet to be convinced they offer any advantage over short cable runs.

iLink between your DVD player and AV Receiver is worth installing - saves a bundle on analogue interconnects if you want to play SACD and DVD-A discs; I don't recall there being an iLink connection into the TV's Media Receiver; the HDMI cable carries a Digital Stereo feed to the TV speakers (assuming you have them and ever want to use them).

Best regards

Joe

3. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again Joe.

I don't have any complaints about the Molex you supplied me with at all, but having replaced it with a Wireworld Ultra Violet 5 from the USA, I was pleasantly surprised by how much difference it made. The picture is much sharper, difficult shots including landscape and long-shots are handled with aplomb, and the details on people's faces in close-ups is astonishing (and unforgiving in some cases!).

I was hoping for some improvement, but it was a bigger leap than I was expecting.

4. stu_bn

stu_bn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add my thoughts

As a retailer we keep the QED, Chord & Wireworld HDMI/DVI cables. We originally sold the Molex ones as for a while that was all that was available. We recently took the Wireworld range, and I have to say that the difference between the Molex and the top of the range Starlight 5 was amazing. The Starlight, once it had warmed up gave an incredibly noise free, vivid and three dimensional image. I thought it was a different player until I opened the cupboard! It was so impressive that my colleague bought one instantly for his scaler. The Chroma and Ultraviolet don't reach the same level of performance, but they are not far off, certainly the best I've seen at their respective prices

Stuart

5. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK,

So just how do the materials in a HDMI/DVI cable affect the quality of a digital signal ?

'once warmed up' eh?

I'll conceded that the build quality (solder points, socket casings, cable shielding etc) can be of a higher grade, but £hundreds+ more than say a £20 Molex cable (of same 5m length) ????

1 is a 1, 0 is a 0 - Its an old argument, but I've yet to see a proper explanation as to how the cable affects this.

6. stu_bn

stu_bn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I don't understand it either - but it does give a better image - believe me I was sceptical at first, after all, if a 1 goes in one end and comes out the other then surely there is no difference between them. But there is a physical difference in the picture, I can only speculate as to why but there definitely is!

7. Bobrinsky

Bobrinsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to buy a 7 or 8m HDMi cable, and need some advice. I've been using a Pioneer 868Avi DVD player for the last 12 months as an SACD/DVD-A player - very, very happily! - and am about to turn my living room into a proper home cinema with a Sanyo PLV-Z3 projector. I road tested this system today against the Sony VPL-HS50, and, while the latter is slightly better, it is £400 more and unavailable until mid-January. Both projectors so enormously outperformed my expectations, that I'm going to go with the PLV-Z3 now. My vendor, did not, however, have HDMi cables over 5m, and I need at least 7m.

As I see it, my options are a 7m QED cable for £76, an 8m Chord Silver Plus cable for £140, or Wireworld Ultraviolet 7m for nearer £300. I'm horribly financially overstretched already, so I feel seriously uninclined to go with the last option. Before I decide - in the next 24 hours - does anyone have strong opinions on what I should go for? Any advice from experienced parties very gratefully received.

8. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
  9. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    and can you tell us about this Taiwan cable source ?

10. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    It was a one-off custom cable powerbuy organized by a Taiwanese forum. I got in through a member of AVS forum who's got family there.

As regards Wireworld cable, I can post what they said on AVS:

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Hello all

Grubert – great post; then again I'm biased as we import the BetterCables range to the UK/Europe :)

I would say for those looking to run 720P and 1080i (or 1080P) over HDMI and especially DVI there is a performance threshold that can adversely affect the image you see on screen; especially so with DVI over 5m.

BetterCables have just delivered a NEW mkII range of HDMI and DVI cables – we can now go up to 15m over copper; though with DVI you do rely on the quality of the receiver circuitry in your display and you will occasionally have to revert to a signal amplifier with DVI signals over 5m.

Where possible I'd advise anyone considering a long run of HDMI or DVI to test the Source > Cable > Display combination your planning before you install long Digital Video cables in ceilings, walls or under floor and if you cant pre test at least purchase from someone who has tested the combination your considering or knows what to do if you did have problems.

Best regards

Joe