1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Help required please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by blagdon, Nov 27, 2003.

1. blagdon

blagdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking at buying my first digital camcorder (probably the Sony TRV33) in the next few days and would like to clarify something before I actually part with the cash and order the thing.

I have no experience with digital camcorders but have recently purchased a digital camera that is capable of recording video clips and I have successfully downloaded those video clips to my PC as AVI files. I have then played about with them in Windows Movie Maker and it has worked great. This has given me the movie making bug so I want to purchase a proper digital camcorder to record longer footage.

My question's are as follows:

- What format is the video footage stored in on a camcorder? Is it stored as an AVI file (the same as my digital camera's video clips) or another format?
    - Can I simply connect the camcorder to my PC via a USB cable and drag a file containing the video footage from the camcorder onto the PC? As the footage is recorded on tape rather than a memory card I thought it may work differently?

I have looked at the manual for the TRV33 via a link on another website but cannot see anything about being able to simply download a file from the camcorder to the PC like I can do with my digital camera. Everything seems to relate to viewing the footage on a PC via USB streaming but does this download the footage at the same time so I can open it up in Movie Maker?

Any information you can give me on this would be much appreciated so I can make sure I can do what I need to with the footage recorded before I buy the thing.

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The footage captured on your DV camera will be .avi

No it is not drag & drop like with your stills camera

You will have to connect via firewire (i link DV in/out) & then use editing software to capture to your hard drive. As it is copied it is a bit for bit copy from the tape to the hard drive (without quality loss) & will be a realtime capture. (ie a one hour tape will take an hour to playback & capture). An hour of footage will take up about 13Gb of space.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's very strange that hardly any camcorder manuals talk about transferring the video from camera to PC, but it is just as vanhosen says. you connect the camera to the PC with a 'firewire' (iLink, IEEE1394, DV ) cable and away you go.

MS Moviemaker2 is a quite good but very basic programme but it will certainly meet your needs for a while, for quite detailed information on how to use Moviemaker and what it can do have a look at www.papajohn.org