1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help required - pc to hifi advice

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Westender, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'd like to be able to play mp3's on my pc throught my hifi rather than through the pc speakers and subwoofer. Is this possible? If so - what do I need? Grateful for any advice.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Depends on your SCs audio outputs & the kit you have in your hifi

2 main ways from soundcard for instance :

Digitally via a toslink optical output or a RCA SPDIF coaxial output these are hard cabled ways (ie that require a cable link), or via Wifi Airtunes Express and such like from a PC to a Squeezebox and then towards an amplifer. This then fed towards a hifi or stereo DAC (Digital to Anlg Convertor) which then sends a signal towards your amplifer (just like a CD Player).

Analogue again depending on the SC you use the anlg output size vary, most cheap SCs have a 3.5mm Minijack (just like a headphone jack) all you require is a 3.5mm Minijack To 2 RCA cable, these are quite cheap. The other anlh way is exactly like the anlg outputs on a CDP, ie RCA phono outputs.

Do a search over on the Hifi forum to see all the threads concerning the points above.

3. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Only got a crappy sound card with a 3.5 mm minijack which is already connected to the PC speakers. Is there such thing as minijack adpaptor which would enable me to plug both the pc speakers and subwoofer and my hifi into the same 3.5mm jack on my pc?