1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Help - Problems recording from Camcorder to VHS

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Samstan, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Samstan

Samstan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my parents have recently bought a Samsung Hi 8 Camcorder (model VPW70). They have a Hitachi TV (model C36WF810N) and a Panasonic Video (model NVFJ710). If I connect the Camcorder to the TV either through a scart socket of using the yellow & white connectors on the front of the TV I can see the camcorder playing back. However, If I then try to record from the TV using the correct input ie AV1 or AV2 the VHS only records a pale grey screen and not the camcorder playback.

I can connect the camcorder direct to the VHS and record the camcorder image but I can then only monitor/ edit the playback through the camcorder eyepiece. What am I doing wrong?!! I want to be able to view the image on the TV whilst recording to VHS so I or my dad can edit the home videos.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks.

Sam

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I don't know any of the models you list, but in general this is the way to connect it all up.

Connect VCR to TV in normal way.
    Connect camcorder to front AV sockets on VCR or spare scart socket on rear.
    Set TV to the VCR channel/input.
    Set the VCR to input that cam is connected.

You should now be able to see the video footage that is playing from the cam on the TV screen.

Mark.

3. Samstan

Samstan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly what I did - because thats the way mine works. I can see video footage but instead of recording the image to VHS all the VHS shows on playback is a grey screen.

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but in your first post Samstan you said you could only monitor your video through the camcorder eyepiece because it was not on your TV screen !!!

With your camcorder connected to your VCR - tune your TV to the VCR channel - Tune the VCR input to whatever input you are using - could be L1 /L2 / L3 or AV1/ AV2/ AV3 - don't know your VCR so can't be specific - when you press play on the camcorder the video should appear on your TV screen. you can now press 'rec/pause/stop' as required on your VCR to record the bits of video you want.

5. Samstan

Samstan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I misunderstood I thought you ment connect the Camcorder to the TV. I'll get my dad to try this. Thanks.

6. Samstan

Samstan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: My dad has tried this and says thanks very much it worked a treat. :smashin:

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pleased to hear that