1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help pls, daft question probly!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rayman, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Rayman

Rayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, :hiya: im new to all this and require some help answering my general questions.

Basically i would like to know what piece of hardware will i require to play my TV through a set of speakers and woofer?

I have bought a seperate set of quality speakers and woofer, i already have a DVD player. What now do i need so that i can hear both my DVDs and TV through the same speakers? Is it an AV receiver, AMP or something else?

Thanx in advance for some replies, :suicide: its probly a simple answer to everyone but im rather lost at the mo.

Waiting in anticipation :clap:

Regards

Rayman

2. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a go. What you need is either an AV amp or receiver (receiver has a tuner section, the amp doesn't - otherwise they're essentially the same). If you've got a 5.1 (or 6.1/7.1) speaker set, then you'll need to get an equivalent receiver/amp. The specifications of the amp will depend on your needs and how much you're willing to spend. Most entry-level amps will do 5.1 including Dolby Digital and DTS for multichannel sources (eg. films on DVD) and Dolby Prologic 2 for stereo sources (eg. TV, VHS, CD, etc.), and will also have a myriad of digital sound processing modes (eg. hall, jazz, theatre, etc.). If you've got 6.1 or 7.1 speakers, then you'll want amps that can decode Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES, which increases costs.

As for video connections, you can connect your DVD player to your telly using component inputs for best results. Alternatively, if your amp can handle component video upconversion (further increases costs), then you can connect your DVD player to your amp via S-video, your cable/satellite to your amp via S-video or SCART, your VHS to your amp via SCART or S-Video, and so on, and finally connect your TV to your amp via component.

Don't forget to buy digital cables to connect your DVD player to the amp in order to decode digital 5.1 sources on DVD films (ie. either Dolby Digital or DTS) - this can either be a coaxial cable or an optical cable. If you've got a dedicated CD player, you will also want to connect good quality cables (either analogue RCA or digital coaxial/optical) to your amp. The same goes for the analogue stereo connections between your TV (or satellite/cable/VHS) and the amp - make sure you get good quality analogue cables (for RCA phono plugs). You'll also need to get a single analogue cable for your sub-woofer to connect to the amp.

Lastly, make sure that your speaker cables are of a good quality. If you need further advice on bi-wiring/bi-amping, or anything else, let me know - I'll be glad to help.

Good luck and enjoy your system!

Regards,
    reservoir51