1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Help Please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by rami, Nov 15, 2004.

1. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im looking for a lcd just for the bedroom, size anything between 17" and 26", will only be running sky through it and possibly a dvd player / vcr combi, any advice on what to go forbudget for this is probably about 500 quid possibly a bit more for the right screen

Also one last point,screen will be used mainly for watching football, is it true that the quality on football on these screens is poor compared with plasma/crt

Thanks in advance

2. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    As for recomendations I'll let other's reply as there could be dozen's of differing opinions.

Regarding Footy - It really repends on your meaning of "poor". LCD's with a low response time (not really a problem these days) may shows signs of ghosting on fast moving images, footy being an example often used. The other factor is the signal being fed into the screen. If you sit 6 inches from an LCD showing football via a Sky feed you may think the quality is awful but thats Sky's digital compression to blame.

3. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks griffbo, will be sat about 10 - 12 foot away from the screen but the pic will be coming in through sky, would i be better looking at a 26" plasma?

4. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Depends on what you want to use it for tbh.

If it was purely TV and DVD's I'd be inclined to say Plasma but if you're like me and plan on using it in conjunction with a PC there's only 1 option - LCD.

At 10' - 12' any compression niggles will be invisible to the eye. If you are realistically planning to sit that far away from the screen I'd suggest a larger screen too.