1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help please - Kef PSW3000 & Eggs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by grahammackie, Dec 10, 2003.

1. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just 'side graded' my B&W DM 603/601 comibination for Eggs and a PSW3000 from Kef - pressure to get ird of those 'big ugly speakers' as part of a room layout change.

Never had/needed a Sub before as 603's did just fine. Sub arrived today and have plugged it in.

At the moment anything above one bar on the volume level indicator starts to 'boom' quite badly - using opening sequence of Toy Story 2 to test bass.

The manu talks about altering the frequency and the phase control up and down to get an 'ideal crossover' - I have no idea how to do this...

Anybody else with similar setup ?

How do I set these levels to get a flat response ?

Currently using 5th egg as centre but Q9c should be here soon if that helps.

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    graham,

I can't help with your sub problems, but I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Q9c as a centre. I've heard mixed reports over it's effectiveness when coupled with the eggs (slighty different tone due to a different cone construction material?). However, I'm considering a Q9c or Q6c if(when) I purchase a set of eggs, so any comments would be grateful for any comments you may have.

Balders.

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can't quite help you there, but I know with my eggs I have my velodyne's crossover set at about 100. I used to get to much boom unto I put some tiles under the sub - try this and see if it helps?

CaM

4. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the above and it added some nice jingly sound effects to my slade chistmas cd:D

Surely a paving slab or heavy plinth (worktop style) would be better?

When I had carpet, I carpeted a large 2" thick slab of worktop with the same carpet used on the floor at the time.
    This looked pretty good and really tightened up my subwoofers bass.

Yo..grahammackie , are you using both L&R inputs on your sub?
    If you use both, a lower level setting (on subwoofer) may be required.
    The PSW3000 is a good heavy sub.

Have you tried the sub in a few locations and set all levels to at least sound the same?
    An SPL meter may come in handy, although it is thought to be better tuning sub levels by ear.

I find it all too easy to set the sub level too high.
    Use a bass heavy tune and set the level on the amp to 0.
    Set the level on the sub to about three blocks on the front display.
    Try to get the levels matched so the sub is still there, but not directional or making itself known too much.

& set subwoofer crossover to at least 2 3rds or even full and x over on amp to 80Hz+