Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Newbie help please: hi-fi or home cinema?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Kiwi2, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Kiwi2

Kiwi2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, I'm not much of an audiophile but my brother-in-law is a sound engineer and put me onto this excellent website to see if I can get some advice. I've been trawling through the various threads, but I guess my problem is a fairly basic one & my budget is not that big either, so I haven't found any answers yet.

My problem is this: I have NO hi-fi or home cinema at the moment, and only a budget of around £250. I want a system for listening to CDs, but also for movies (I'm not bothered about the full 5.1 surround sound). What I do have is a DVD player (Toshiba SD-330), and I was thinking that rather than buying a micro hi-fi with a CD player, why not make use of the DVD player to play CDs instead? The room it's in is not huge, and I don't want loads of satellite speakers (which seems to rule out most home cinema packages!).

So should I be looking at getting separates (amp & speakers only) or is there another solution out there? Any advice is appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    That’s an excellent solution Kiwi, simply add an amp and a set of speakers. Try to stretch to £300 ie £200 on an amp and £100 on speakers and you will have a decent starter system. Many people use DVD in hifi stereo based system (Ive done so for years) concentrating on the best system for music, with an additional bonus of being able to listen to many Music DVDs. Down the line you can add pieces or upgrade your system, for example using a DAC off the Tosh 330 to change the CD playback, adding an active subwoofer etc etc. But just now and considering you don’t want or need a 5.1 rig (nothing wrong with that BTW) then this is your best option. I would think a £200 amp (Rotel, NAD, CA, Marantz) and a set of £100 standmounts would do you just dandy.

FWIW many people get into AV thinking it will serve them well for music but as most music is a 2 channel affair its worth concentrating on those channels. Some good reading here that may interest you :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143693

3. Kiwi2

Kiwi2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot for that advice, I feel a lot more confident about that now. One question though - what do you mean exactly by

"for example using a DAC off the Tosh 330 to change the CD playback"

What's a DAC, and how does this affect CD playback?

:blush:

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41923

Bascially its a digital conversion box, every CD player has one and there are external ones you can buy, very handy these days as you can send many different digital devices (ie ones with a digital output) towards a DAC :

So can be used for CD, DVD, DAB, Digital Radio TV Freeview, Sky, PC Soundcards. How does it effect CD playback ? well its just like adding a new CDP to your kit TBH in a lot of cases.

Use the search facility and do some reading dude, quite pertinent to you as your going to be using a DVD player for CDs etc.

5. Kiwi2

Kiwi2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fanatastic - I will do that CJ, thanks for the thread link - I'm definitely much happier with the stereo route, and I like the fact I have an upgrade path in future with a DAC & subwoofer etc. I will read up on the DACs as you suggested.